Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Not What I Thought

05.21.14

Romans 2.4 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? (NIV)

Why doesn’t God just whup the crap out of us and make us all come into line? Why does He have to be kind and forbearing and patient? Why can’t He just be the God we all want Him to be: my God can kick the crap out of your god after He’s done with me?

Well, He doesn’t have to be kind – He just is. He doesn’t have to be patient but His patience is pointed toward who we can become, not who we are. It doesn’t take too much convincing to get us to believe that humans are the strangest creatures. We are fickle and unreliable. We lie, we cheat; we steal. We pretend. We play at life and don’t take it too seriously. We accept all of God’s providence and then complain about how He administers it. We’re greedy, selfish, and truly worthy of being smacked around. And yet, God puts up with us. Kindly, gently, patiently.

God doesn’t seem to be into cowering (ours, not His; He doesn’t cower). God seems to understand just how wretched and needy we are and He seems to want to come to our rescue, not our demise. The Bible says, Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?
Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’ (Ezekiel 18:23; Ezekiel 33:11) God is into life, not death.

And Peter told us, The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3.9) So why does everyone have to blame God for being such a meany? Sadly, it is because if we can find anything to accuse God of, we’ll do it – that’s just how wicked and adolescent our hearts are. Repentance is a dirty word to even the most foul individual on the planet – it is an affront to human self-sufficiency. God! Who needs God!? (You do my friend…you do.)

God’s kindness is misunderstood because we believe we are entitled to a happy life. A friend of mine said this: “When you think you deserve something specific to happen, you are setting yourself up for the inability to embrace what actually happens.”* He then went on to say, “You will be happier and much closer to the truth, to the moment, and to God—when you realize you are not in control of your life.”* Too many of us cannot accept our lack of control over what happens to us; and we cannot accept that what happens to us is God’s kindness.

Lord, for too many years I thought You were out to get me and club me a good one. How wrong I was for entertaining such thought. I realize now just how kind You’ve been, and how focused You are on my future, not my past. Help me to live this day knowing that whatever happens, You are fully at work in my life; and You are graciously making me into the man You’ve always intended for me to be. You are kind. You are patient. You accept me. And You put up with me. Thank You. Amen.


*Jim Stephens

No comments: