Saturday, May 24, 2014

How Many Times

05.24.14

1 Kings 9.1-2 When Solomon had finished building the temple of the Lord and the royal palace, and had achieved all he had desired to do, 2 the Lord appeared to him a second time, as he had appeared to him at Gibeon. NIV

Recently a young woman I know told me about a struggle she and her young husband were having and after trying to iron things out amicably, the venom of frustration floated to the surface and she demanded of him: HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS!!!??? That floated into my mind as I read of God’s appearing to Solomon in 1 Kings 9.

The Lord appeared to Solomon on two different occasions – first at Gibeon, at the outset of Solomon’s reign; and then in Jerusalem, at the completion of Temple that he built for the Lord.

In the first vision God said to Solomon: “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” (1 Kings 3.5) Solomon asked for wisdom and God replied (something to the effect of): Since you’ve asked for wisdom I will give it to you and I will also give you all you didn’t ask for: wealth and honor. And then as a footnote of sorts, God said: “…And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” (1 Kings 3.15)

In the next appearance God said: “I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.” And then God said: “As for you, if you walk before me faithfully with integrity of heart and uprightness... I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever...” (1 Kings 9.4,5) And then God said:

“But if you or your descendants turn away from me and do not observe the commands and decrees I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel from the land I have given them and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. Israel will then become a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples.” (1 Kings 9.6-7) No mention of wealth, no mention of honor; no mention of power.

We know what happens: Solomon does exactly what the Lord told him not to do.

I always wonder what went through the minds of these people (there are numerous examples of this throughout Scripture) when they went through a visit from the Lord and were given specific information about His expectations for their lives. And then they failed.

When God speaks we may have to be told over and over – just like little kids being trained how to discern right from wrong. Solomon, the recipient of two (that we know of) very powerful conversations with God, fell flat on his nose in failure despite these conversations. I wonder what he thought. I wonder how he felt when his kingdom was wrenched from his hands.


Lord God, my visions have been few. I can only think of a time or two that it might’ve been You. But I live because of the fact that You do (and have) appear to men to get their attention. I pray for wisdom and discernment today. I pray forgiveness for all the moments I have fallen flat on my nose in disobedience. I pray for eyes to see and ears to hear as You move within my life and sphere that I may serve You, and represent You honorably. I pray for spiritual strength to submit every area of my life and being to Your control. Lord, You needn’t ask me: HOW MANY TIMES? I ask that You help me to get it and get it good. I pray for Your help – Amen.

No comments: