Sunday, May 4, 2014

Bearing and Sharing

05.04.14

Matthew 21.43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. (NIV)

This sentence caused me to say, “hmmm…” It also caused me to think about who “a people” are who would produce its fruit. And then I realized that people is us, the Church throughout the world. And then I realized, He was talking about me.

What does it mean to, produce its fruit?  For sure it doesn’t mean writing a blog, or attending a church, or leading a men’s group, or serving in children’s ministries. Producing fruit isn’t something I do, it’s is something that naturally happens as I fellowship with Jesus Christ and participate in His Kingdom by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. Producing fruit doesn’t necessarily mean doing what Jesus did but it does mean doing what Jesus says and cooperating with Him in every moment.

Fellowship is a two-way street. There is give and give on both sides of the equation. But my life in Christ is not merely an equation; it’s a living, vibrant expression of the Living God through me toward others as He brings His presence and will to light in me. Producing fruit means more of me being a conduit, or channel, or a clean vessel pouring out His blessing to others.

God removed His Kingdom from those who disbelieved after they had every opportunity to believe. God presented His case and they ridiculed it because it wasn’t what they believed it to be. They wanted a king with power to overthrow the Romans and restore Israel to its former glories. What they got was a King with the power to overthrow the human heart and restore a person to the glories of God’s original intent for them. Apparently, that wasn’t good enough for them, so God turned to those who would accept His offer; and forty days after the resurrection of the King, it happened, the Church was born: a people who would produce its fruit.

Kingdom fruit isn’t about performance; it’s about relationship. And God isn’t just about getting things done; He’s about friendship and fellowship. I need to be careful that I don’t only recognize God as a Taskmaster, no matter how benevolent and loving He is. What God is really about is cooperation: my cooperation with Him in seeking out others who will bear fruit for Him – the fruit of love and goodness. It’s about relationship.

Father, You don’t give Your Kingdom to those who don’t want it – that doesn’t mean You don’t love them; it just means You won’t force it upon them. Your Kingdom isn’t about a To-Do list; it’s about love and how we mere humans can benefit from and share Your love with those who trouble over believing it exists. Two helps today Lord: help me to bear the fruit You desire; and help me to share that fruit with those You desire. May I walk with You this day bearing and sharing. Amen.

No comments: