Monday, May 5, 2014

Just a Song

05.05.14

Psalm 20.6 6 Now this I know: The Lord gives victory to his anointed. He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary with the victorious power of his right hand. (NIV)

I know it’s just a song. I know we can’t go to the Psalms and actually take them literally. I know we sing songs at our church, but there only supposed to remind us of God so that we can relax from all the stuff last week, and gird up for all this stuff this week. They’re just songs…right?

Well, I suppose that’s one way to look at them. Yes, it’s true the Psalms are there to remind us of God’s power and presence, but they’re not merely songs. They’re songs of truth.

The beauty and majesty of the Psalms are this: they were written by people whose lives were formed in the crucible of life’s trials, and they overcame because of their faith in the Lord. So, they’re not just songs – they are songs that were written in blood, and pain, and tragedy and all the other stuff that life throws at us; and they resound with this triumphant refrain: Now this I know: The Lord gives victory to his anointed. He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary with the victorious power of his right hand. They aren’t pointless songs.

Last week was a long week for me. I started a second job (long story, I’ll let you know in a couple years) and I put in some long hours between jobs. My normal routine (will somebody please explain to me what we mean by normal?) includes using a floor scrubber and buffing machine in the hardware store where I work. After I clean the floors on Thursday evenings, I go in early Friday mornings and buff out the floors to make them gleam. They gleam

Part of that early morning perk is listening to music on my Droid with some Bluetooth headphones…janitorial ain’t your daddy’s janitorial these days. Now, I’ll admit I sort of sing along as I gleam along, and as a particular tune played, it brought up all kinds of memories and emotions of when our oldest son died. It wasn’t a religious song; it was a pop tune. But it played the melody that touched my soul and the words rung out a tear or two from my eyes. And it helped me to release some stuff I’ve been hanging on to. It was just a song.

That’s what the Psalms are supposed to do: they’re to help us remember Who God is, and (hopefully) let go of some stuff we’ve been hanging on to. If anybody ever had stuff to let go of, it was David, the Lord’s anointed who learned some tough lessons and needed God to help him let go of stuff.

The first half of Psalm 20 is blessing: May the Lord… answer you…protect you…send you help from the sanctuary…grant you support … remember all your sacrifices… give you the desire of your heart …make all your plans succeed…may the Lord grant all your requests. (vv. 1-5)


And the second half (vv. 6-9) is built upon this truth: Now this I know: The Lord gives victory to his anointed. It might be just a song. But it means something when I remember who I am and Whose I am: the Lord’s anointed. And as the Lord’s anointed, this I know: the trials and troubles I encounter are there to help me grow in strength and bravery as I go through them with the Lord, trusting in the Name of my Lord. Amen.

No comments: