Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rightly Applying

05.27.14

Proverbs 4.7 7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. (NIV)

Wisdom is the combination (or result) of the procurement of knowledge, and proper application of such knowledge procured. I am a learner. Learning is easy when you realize you don’t know as much as you think you do, and the pursuit of knowledge, helps fill in the gaps of what you think you know, and what you really know.

Now, the pursuit of knowledge isn’t the end in itself, the right application of knowledge in moral and spiritual matters, is what we’re shooting for (or what we’re supposed to be shooting for). Knowledge without proper application is just a pile for more information. By rightly applying knowledge is wisdom, and that leads to a successful and prosperous life.

Well, what is rightly applying? When we use knowledge for the benefit of success and prosperity in others, that could be considered the right application. When we heed the principles in Scripture and use them for the benefit of others and ourselves that could be considered rightly applying them. What’s the use in having knowledge if it doesn’t help others and us individually?

Practicing what we preach is also rightly applying knowledge. Rightly applying could be safely considered in this statement: Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (1 Corinthians 11.1) Only a true leader, only a true believer, only a right apply-er can make a statement like that. Leadership is learning and then rightly applying learning for the sake and benefit of others. Only true believers understand how important it is to have wisdom and live a submitted and wise life.

There are no shortcuts. To say, “We have the mind of Christ” is true; but it does us no good if we don’t use His mind and invite others to follow us as we follow His example Who said: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.” (John 5.19) Jesus wisely understood and faithfully implemented His mission; He did what God told Him to do.

God tells us what to do through His word. It isn’t osmosis; it isn’t hypnosis; it isn’t astrology or biology; it’s applying His word to our lives and then acting accordingly. Get wisdom, it’s as plentiful dandelions in the spring to those who go after it and live by it. Application. Application. Application. Without it, it’s just that much more information and information without personal acceptance and application is worthless.

Jesus is slowly getting through to the retard writing this blog. I love theory and hate application – that’s probably why I struggle so much in my Christianity. But I am learning that I won’t get far in the Kingdom on information only; I have to learn to apply it.

Teach me and I will be taught O Lord! Help me and I will be helped my God. May I resist the urge to know and replace it with the passion to do. For You. May it be so in Christ. Amen.

No comments: