Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Wonderful Resource A Magnificent Promise

6.19.2011

1 Timothy 1:16 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. NIV

I used to think that God has His limits – that even God gets fed up at some point and says, “Okay! That’s enough!” I used to think that until I read 1 Timothy 1.16 and saw that Jesus Christ has unlimited patience. If I feel anything at all this morning, it’s this: I am immensely relieved that our Savior possesses unlimited patience; that’s good news. Yes, things will happen, and God who is slow to anger and rich in mercy will act but even so, He will do whatever He does whenever He does it with unlimited patience and love.

I have such a hard time seeing God apart from myself as far as the way He thinks and the way He operates. It’s hard for me to grasp unlimited patience because there are so many variables in that equation as far as I am concerned; and time seems to be working against me as far as I can tell. But the Lord is above and beyond time and somehow exists both within and without time.

The patience of God is a marvelous thing but very hard to understand – even the saints in heaven ask, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” (Revelation 6:10 NIV) But the patience of God is a wonderful resource and a magnificent promise of His indescribable love.

I’m glad for the patience of Jesus that He isn’t through with me and He will accomplish His purpose in me. The knowledge of His patience makes me remember that even though I am unbelievably dull He’ll help me get it. His patience is the affirmation of His love, His care, and His presence in me. His patience is the affirmation of how committed He is to my success in Him. His patience is the building block of the foundation of my faith in Him. I have much to be sorry for but I’m eternally glad for His patience with me and in me today.

Lord Jesus,
You began a good work in me and You’ve said You’ll see it through to completion that on that day I may step into Your presence unashamed. Help me , O Patient One! Help me to get it that I may have joy and may Your unlimited patience rub off on me that I may find true patience and grace toward others. Thank You God! Amen.

No comments: