Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Scratching the Itch

6.28.2011

2 Timothy 4:3 3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. NIV

I admit it – there are certain people I like to listen to because what they say agrees with what I believe. I think most people are like that; we want to hear what we believe and like those who speak about what we espouse. And that’s not all bad. What is bad however is when we quit listening to God. God has something to say and the wise among us listen to Him.

When I chose to listen only to those who say what I believe or say what I want to hear I skirt dangerously close to territory where my discernment goes out the window. Paul said to Timothy there is great danger in surrounding oneself with teachers who say only what scratches the itch. Like a mosquito bite, or a skin rash, there is an itch in all of us and it craves self. It justifies and coddles and mollifies the self. And the more that itch is scratched the more that itch itches and soon all we can do is scratch the itch. Our attention is consumed with the itch.

Recently, I have come upon what appears to be an opportunity. I have had to do my best to ignore the subsequent day-dreaming that goes along with this kind of a thing. With my active imagination all I can see is good and success. So though my imagination is running wild, I have purposed to God that this will only work if He is in it; if He’s the One behind it. I am purposely not talking about it and when the knots of anticipation tighten in my stomach, I simply give it over to Him and they go away. On this occasion, it’s not what I desire, but what He has purposed for me; that is what I’m seeking!

Personally, I must guard against only listening to those who agree with what I believe. How I’m to live is by what God says; and sometimes what He says is very painful and counter to what I want to hear. The question is: can I trust Him when I don’t get my way… even when it sounds so good and so right?

Father in Heaven,
Your word is the balm to my itching ears. What You say is what I want even when I really don’t want it. Help me to remember that. There are many who say what I want to hear, I just don’t want to miss You in the midst of it – and worse, not even know it. May I live listening for You today and then do what You say – in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: