Thursday, June 30, 2011

Controlled

6.30.2011

Titus 2:12 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age... NIV

Four times in this passage Paul mentions self-control. He says older men are to be self-controlled; he says older women are to teach younger women to be self-controlled; and he says young men are to be self-controlled. And then he says, the grace of God has appeared to teach us to say, “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age… Paul also taught in Galatians 5 that self-control is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Where would we be without the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit? What would we do without His gentle warnings, nudges, influences, and care? The fruit of the Holy Spirit among other things is self-control. Interestingly, I can’t conjure up self-control because in my nature, self controls me. And even as a believer, self likes to fart and belch and spit and generally make a bad-breathed nuisance. I need something way stronger than willpower to control my self.

And that something is the Holy Spirit, and the fruit of His presence: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control. These things grow in us because of His presence. And the growth part is noteworthy because the growth doesn’t happen all at once but it never goes away. Without the Holy Spirit self-control is like trying to build a house without a hammer or saw; it’s like trying to build a car without tools of any kind. Self is nasty and we need divine intervention through trial and error to keep self where it belongs: controlled!

Today, I think of all of my failings in the arena of self-control; but I also have great hope in the presence of the Spirit of God. And I get to trust in Him again today and marvel at the power of His great grace which teaches me and empowers me to just say no to the little man inside who durst would have his way to my ruin and the misery of others…

Father in Heaven,
Thank You for the presence of Your Spirit and for His putting up with me. I pray that His influences, nudges, warnings, and care would not fall on fallow ground but would root and grow and produce great fruit for Your pleasure and the benefit of others around me – humbly I pray – amen.

No comments: