Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A King’s Prayer

6.14.2011

2 Chronicles 14:11 11 Then Asa called to the Lord his God and said, “Lord, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O Lord, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you.” NIV

There are a few prayers in Scripture that get my attention – above is one. God said to Solomon, “If My people… pray…then I will hear…forgive…and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7.14) God’s people must pray. And God’s leaders must pray – but God’s leaders must pray from hearts that fully follow Him.

Asa was a godly king, he served the Lord with all of his heart – at least for a season. And this prayer of his is an example and reminder to us today that the battle is not against flesh and blood or even against us; the battle is against the Lord – and those who stand on His side.

God said to Solomon, “If My people…will humble themselves…” (see 2 Chronicles 7.12ff) humility is the prerequisite to prayer. A king cannot pray godly prayers without God. People cannot pray godly prayers without God. I don’t think for a minute that the United States of America is a godly nation but I do think God is looking for godly people who will humble themselves and pray prayers like Asa prayed. And I think when they do the reciprocal effect is the healing of our land.

Asa’s prayer is one worth praying this week in any trying circumstance we find ourselves. There is no One like God who helps the powerless against the mighty. But it’s belief in God that makes the difference in how we pray and what we say. May our prayers be like Asa’s this day…

Father in Heaven,
Lord, there is no one like You to help me against (fill in the blank). Help me, O Lord my God, for I rely on You, and in Your name I have come against (fill in the blank). O Lord, You are my God; do not let (fill in the blank) prevail against You.” I pray in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: