Friday, June 17, 2011

Superhuman Strength

6.17.2011

Colossians 3:5 5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. NIV

Yesterday, I thought about the process of killing all that within me that belongs to my earthly nature. I thought about what Jesus said, “And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14.27 NIV) and I realized that it is more than carrying my cross, it’s putting all of me on that cross and killing it – daily.

It is interesting exercise to take inventory of our thoughts and categorize them under the headings listed above. How much of my time do I spend thinking about things in the categories Paul spelled out? Paul went on to say, “But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.” (v. 8) Add those kinds of thoughts and practices to your categories as well. To do that would make me cry out, O Lord! Save me, for I am a sinful man!!!

The Jesuits have an Ignatian practice called Examen. The Examen is a technique of prayerful reflection on the events of the day in order to detect God's presence. It is also an exercise in how I responded to these events to see how I reacted. I think Paul would have nodded approval to Examen or something like it. I think we’d all benefit from regularly taking the time before God to honestly identify our weak spots and confess them before Him that we know they’re there, and seek His power and presence to overcome them. Superhuman strength is required to kill whatever belongs to our earthly nature.

Father in Heaven,
You are my Source and Strength and I need You now. I ask You to strengthen me as I crucify all that is within me that smacks of my earthly nature. I ask for courage to honestly and humbly review the day previous, carefully identifying every area of my earthly reactions and responses. Help me to draw close to You confessing where I’ve failed, and finding strength in You to carry on in the process of putting it all to death. With my cross I pray – amen…

No comments: