Friday, June 24, 2011

What People Say

6.24.2011

1 Timothy 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. NIV

It is important to remember how much God has ante-ed up by allowing us to have faith in Him. God, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see has (seemingly) staked His entire reputation on us. That says something. Either God is a fool, or God knows something we don’t know. Or perhaps God knows that His power and presence will work in the lives of His people. God doesn’t know defeat.

Now, in the context, I realize Paul was writing to Timothy about slaves and how Christ-following slaves should behave. But just because we don’t have ‘slaves’ today like they did in ancient days, doesn’t mean we don’t pay attention to the way we come off – many will base their opinion of Christianity, and the God of Christianity, by how we Christians live. Their testimony will be based on how ours matches up with our lives. If we were to use the above verse in the following way it might make us think a little differently about what we say and how we live: All who are bond-slaves of Jesus Christ ought to consider their Master worthy of full respect so that His Name and what we say about Him may not be slandered.

Whether slaves to humans or slaves to God, how we respect others says a lot about how we respect God.

My public conduct and speech tells others about my beliefs. I must remember that. I must remember that others are watching me and sizing up my faith by how I live. I must also remember that some slander God and the faith just because of me…

Father in Heaven,
Help me God to be the real deal and to live in a manner that brings honor to Your Name. May my conduct public and private reveal Your glorious presence in me – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: