Thursday, June 9, 2011

What is Love Anyway?



6.9.2011

Ephesians 5:1-2 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. NIV

The writer of Psalm 94 wrote: When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O Lord, supported me. (Ps. 94:18 NIV) In the history of gods, which one, other than the true and living God, ever showed love to the devotees? The short answer is none.

What is love anyway? Some would call it a strong emotion. Some would say it’s romance. Some would say it’s the capacity to always put someone else’s welfare ahead of our own. Some would say it is strong affection. Whatever it is, love has no place is religion but is always found through relationship. That’s the difference.

What caught my attention today is the statement in Psalm 94 about love – specifically God’s love; God’s love supported the slipping. Why not just let the slipping slip and learn his lesson the hard way? I dunno; that may be the mystery of love that says, I’ll love you even in the hard times – my care for you transcends your penchant for selfishness and stupidity. That sure doesn’t come from gods of our own making…

Paul urged the Ephesians (directly, and us indirectly) to imitate God – the God of love; and to live a life of love just as Christ loved and sacrificed Himself for us. So, maybe love is the act of selflessly giving of oneself for another – for the welfare of others – at whatever the cost. And maybe that’s what Paul was trying to teach us that love is greater in our giving it away, than it is in our receiving.

The only way for me to give love, is to know love; and to know the Source of love: the God of love. Love is counterintuitive and is only consummated in me through acts of sacrifice – both great (occasionally) but mostly consistently through small – small acts of selflessness incessantly given for the benefit of others. Doing what God does.

Father in Heaven,
Today, I am Yours; and I pray to be a channel, not of my own love but, of Your love, through me, as I imitate You, and celebrate Your presence in me – through Christ, amen.

No comments: