Monday, June 6, 2011

The Meaning of Life

6.6.2011

Ecclesiastes 3:22 22 So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him?

When I read Ecclesiastes I get a sense of one who craves more but is frustrated at times that there appears to be nothing more. For Solomon to make the assumption that there is nothing better to do except enjoy our lot in life is to my thinking, leaving out a lot. Paul said in his first letter to the Corinthians, “Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.” (1 Corintians 7:17 NIV) So from this, I learn that I’m to bloom where I’m planted.

Solomon’s implication is that this is all there is… and Paul says, seek the Lord, learn from the Lord, and serve the Lord wherever you find yourself – in whatever condition you find yourself. He does say, (if you are enslaved but can gain your freedom, try to do so (1 Corinthians 17.21)). But the bottom line for Paul is for us to be with the Lord and allow Him to be with us in all we do. And there we find satisfaction in life.

Solomon found emptiness in having all his heart desired. Paul found satisfaction in gaining Christ Who gave him the purpose and meaning in life that Solomon, for whatever reason, could not attain.

So where does this leave me – how am I to approach the meaning of life? Well, I think I’m left with one option: follow Christ and find my meaning and purpose in life by telling others about Him. Jesus summed up the meaning in life well when He said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Mt 28:18-20) That’s worth living for!

Father in Heaven,
May I go and make disciples, and be about making disciples this day – in Your Name, amen.

No comments: