Monday, March 27, 2017

When We Were Pagans

3/27/2017

1 Corinthians 12.2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. – St. Paul

I went to a men’s retreat this past weekend. I had fun, I learned lots of things, and was reminded, and re-reminded of a lot more. One of the biggest things I was reminded of, was my identity. In Christ.

I am not yet what I will be, but I am not what I once was. Paul said, when you were pagans… - that was an important statement because their identity had changed. They were accepted in the Beloved, because of their faith. Anyone who accepts the offer of God’s grace in Christ becomes a new creation, old things are gone, and all things become new (Galatians 2.20).

They were no longer pagans...

And so, the believer today can confidently say, I am beloved by God. I am not what I once was, I am near, and He is near, and He loves me without condition. My pastor says, God’s love language is obedience; and though that thought makes me uncomfortable, it’s true. God loves me, and is working diligently in my life. All the time. He is making my love language obedience as well – if I love Him I will prove it by obeying Him (John 14, 15. 16).

My identity is beloved. If you are a Christ-follower, yours is too. You may not yet be what you will be, but you are never again what you once were. When we were – whatever that was, is before who we are now. Now is different than then and now is who we’ll be forever. That ought to make us think about who we are now in Jesus.

Are we obedient – not to a tyrant, but to a Savior? Are we enjoying Him in the moment – this one, and every other one coming our way? Are we experiencing Jesus right now? And how is that, right now? What is our love-language to Him.

Our changing ourselves in an attempt to have God love us more is foolish. We can never do that despite our efforts. But God’s loving us, changes us in ways unfathomable to our minds, and schemes. He does that for and to His beloved, singularly, and corporately. If you are a Christ-follower, like me, we’re beloved by Him, and that ought to change us. The other part of change is this: are we experiencing Him right now, and how is that experience? We can never have too much confidence in that.

Father, I was given insight this weekend I don’t want to lose. I want to consider Your presence and where You are each moment of my day: with me, for me, in me, and through me. Your love changes me but I must remember that I am never out of Your thoughts or sight. That ought to help in the heat of the battle with sin. That ought to quench fear and uncertainty. That is my identity and is to define me forever. Thank You, Lord! Amen

No comments: