Saturday, March 11, 2017

Emulate

3/11/2017

Galatians 2.13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray. – St. Paul

One thing about the Church, we’re not supposed to use it as a club, or a weapon. That’s not to say we aren’t to address sin and wrongdoing, but we are to use corrective action with love, grace, and redemption.

That being said, we aren’t to sugar-coat corrective action. Sometimes there is a need for tough love.

In the Old Testament there are many examples of tough love that permeate the narrative. Nadab and Abihu offered strange fire to God and died. Miriam publicly criticized Moses and was struck by leprosy. David’s servant Uzzah reached out to steady the ark when the oxen stumbled and was killed on the spot. May times in the wilderness God mercilessly struck down rebels in the Israeli community for their rebellion and disrespect.

And lest we conclude that corrective action in the New Testament is different, we need look no further that Ananias and Sapphira and their sin in Acts 5; or the adulterer cast out of the congregation in 1 Corinthians (later restored in 2 Corinthians). Corrective action is often harsh, but its harshness is intended for a purpose. Stick your finger into a charged electric socket and there will be corrective action.

So, Paul rebuked Peter (I think harshly) for his sin of distancing himself from the gentile believers. I think it was humiliating for Peter but I think it shocked him out of his hypocrisy, and into better choices.

Our actions influence others. The thing that really got me this morning was that, “even Barnabas” (revered as almost legendary in his devotion to Christ and the early Church) was led astray by their hypocrisy. Wow! That says something! And it makes a huge statement to leaders of the consequences that their actions truly have.

There is a need men like Paul, and Peter, and Barnabas in the Church today. We need their words, their leadership, and their courage to tackle the issues facing the Church in the 21st century. We need men in the church to lovingly, redemptively, and if necessary, strongly, confront sin and hypocrisy in our midst. The consequences of not doing so have a disastrous effect on the Church and her mission.

Which leads me to me. What is my place as a leader in Christ’s Church? What are the consequences of my actions and attitudes to those in my charge (currently a group of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade boys)? Each week during the school year, I get to use the Scripture in their lives to teach, rebuke, correct and train in righteousness, so that they, as servants of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3) But what happens when they see me out in public – am I representing Christ in a manner that they can emulate? Trust me, our children, and the people we know, will emulate

Father, as Paul challenged Peter, and Barnabas to live with integrity to their beliefs, may I do the same. May I set an example – whether people follow or not – that brings honor and glory to Your name. Help me to lead and to live for You; and bring others along as well… Amen

No comments: