Friday, March 3, 2017

Sight to the Blind

3/3/2017

Mark 10.17, 51 17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”

In Mark 10, Jesus dealt with: with two blind men – one was actually blind, the other just couldn’t see.

In my reading today, I saw two things: Money is one of the weirdest things in all of life; and Jesus gives sight to the blind, if they want it.

In the story, a rich man comes to Jesus to seal the deal for his place in Heaven: “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” He had money for all that money could buy, but he couldn’t figure out how to secure his place in Heaven.

Many times, people come to God expecting one thing only to find out their expectation reveals a massive lack of understanding of God, and themselves. This rich man was like this. He thought he could broker a deal with Jesus to secure his standing in heaven. What he didn’t realize was his wealth blinded his view of heaven and impeded his entrance there. He needed sight, not money.

The other man needed money as well, but what he really needed was sight. Begging in those days was a terrible life; and being a blind beggar was even worse – you couldn’t see who was stealing what you begged, or where a coin went that was tossed at you.

As I go through my days, I encounter many people who struggle with sight. Rarely do I run into the ones who have lost physical sight; most are just blind to God and what He is trying to do in them, for them, and through them.  Most of the time blindness really boils down to looking at the wrong things; or looking at right things wrongly. The rich man in Mark 10 looked at right things wrongly.

Now, to be fair, he did go to Jesus to find help, but his vision of help was so off-base that he couldn’t see the answer to his problem. He only knew what he had, and to him, that was enough. But there was a small conscience inside him that bugged him about spiritual things and he couldn’t reconcile his conscience with truth. When Jesus confronted him about his worldview he went away sad because he just couldn’t see what his real problem was. Don’t call Jesus, Good Teacher if you’re not going to apply what He teaches…

Not sure what happened to the blind beggar. Maybe he went on to be successful financially in life. Or maybe he went to his grave knowing that the Lord of Glory gave him what he really needed: sight. One thing is for sure, when Jesus offered help, he took it. The other guy? Not so much

Father, help me in my days of struggling in my pursuit of Heaven, and the pursuit of money. May I have serenity to accept the things I cannot change; peace to change the things I can; and Your vision, wisdom, and provision, to be content. Thank You for Your love for me and for all those trying to enter Your Kingdom - Amen

No comments: