Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Grownup Children

3/28/2017

1 Corinthians 13.11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. – St. Paul

On Wednesdays, my church has a kids ministry (boys and girls) during the school year called: Royal Rangers. It is a curriculum/experience based ministry where kids are taught to earn various merits: cooking, camping, photography, hiking, and the like. There is everything from first-aid, to bicycle safety. It also includes Bible teaching and general living principles from a godly perspective. We use Royal Rangers to introduce children to the concept of leadership in hope of raising them to accept the leader mantle as they grow into adulthood.

We have a saying: boys will be boys, until they are taught to become men. For girls, it is the same: girls will be girls, until they are taught to become women.

Adulthood isn’t just a date on a calendar. I know plenty of boys who are in their sixties and seventies. I once worked at a large box-store retail company that sold toys. Each year at Christmas, we sold Hot Wheels® cars, cheap, as a way to draw people into the store. It wasn’t the kids looking for the cars, it was these older children in their fifties, sixties, and seventies buying these stupid little toys. Collectors, they fancied themselves. And the stuff older guys buy trying to reclaim the magic of Christmas from their days of their pre-adolescence. Yikes!

Paul said, When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. The hinge is: what makes a man? Age? Maturity? Experience? Do we, one day, grow up and cease to be children, and then take on adult things? Paul grew up one day: day after day, after day, of getting there…

I don’t think Paul grew up different than many other Jewish boys in his day, but the goal for him (and his peers) was to become a man, not just a grownup child. The stresses of life can make us want to revert to simpler times. I didn’t balance a check book as a child; I never worried that we’d run out of pancakes. I had clothes and shelter, and a warm bed to sleep in. But I never had to concern myself with providing those things for myself. My parents did all that.

But becoming a man means taking on the more serious side of life and thinking as an adult should think: marriage, home, career, etc. And leadership. Adults are to lead the next generation into their adult years. But often, as things become more complicated, the current generation is reluctant to fight, and the next generation isn’t so willing to follow; they’d rather remain children.

In our faith and in our relationship with God there comes a time when we must become men, and women. There comes a time when we adults must put childish things aside. We must at some point: grow up; the world and our very way of life is at stake.

Father, some of us get it sooner than later, but I pray for the days of my life to become more increasingly leader quality, and that I would forsake my nagging, unrepentant childishness. Fill me with You Spirit to be a man today, and put childish things aside! Amen.

No comments: