Monday, January 16, 2017

What It Takes

1/16/2017

Luke 16.27-31 27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’” – St. Luke

In a curious dialog in Luke 16, is the narrative of a rich man and Abraham. Now, of course this is a parable of sorts and Jesus used these words because He knew what the Jews thought of Abraham. The curious part is He used the name, Lazarus to describe the third person in the narrative.  Lazarus is the name of the guy He raised from the dead in John 11.

The man, Lazarus is a beggar who is laid by the front gate of the rich man’s house. Lazarus is wretchedly poor and sickly (body sores), and the rich man ignores him. And so, one day, Lazarus dies. Remarkably, at about the same time, the rich man dies as well. In his death the rich man sees Lazarus being taken to Abraham’s side where he is cared for, and the rich man (from hell) he can view Abraham and Lazarus.

After some discussion, the rich man sees his fate is sealed and he appeals to Abraham, “…send Lazarus to my family…let him warn them so that they won’t have to come to this place of torment”. And Abraham replies: They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them. And here is where the story gets really interesting: the rich man says, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ In other words, Lazarus, rising/returning from the dead will be enough to convince them. Abraham says, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’

Funny, the real Lazarus came back from the dead and all that got him was a death warrant by the religious leaders to kill him. The very religious leaders who cited “Moses, and the Prophets”. My question is: what will it take for men to believe? What it takes is faith, not stupendous miracles.

What it takes is a perspective that sees, in this life, there has to be something more; something else. Our lives, while varied and remarkable, all boil down to the same thing: Do we believe and seek God?

Just after September 11, 2001 there was a dramatic rise in church attendance throughout the United States. But by the first part of the following year, attendance had slipped to less that it was before the terrorist attack on September 11. It won’t take a miracle, it won’t take a tragedy; it only takes faith.

Church attendance isn’t the goal – faith is. In every area of life, I am faced with faith. And my faith, while (perhaps) incomprehensible to some, is completely acceptable to God. I don’t need miracles, I don’t need tragedies, I need God and I need Him today. So, I look to Him in faith, and seek His interaction in my life. All it takes is faith.

Father God, thank You for the gift of faith. I don’t have to explain it, all I have to do is live in it. Help me in my walk today, for You are the faithful God. Ame

No comments: