Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Commuted

1/18/2017

Luke 18.42-43 42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” 43 Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God. – St. Luke

A blind man sat alongside a road leading to Jericho. He heard commotion and asked, Hey! What’s going on!? He was told Jesus (the famous Rabbi) was approaching and there was a large crowd of people with Him.

The blind man saw his opportunity: he began to cry out: “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Others around him told him to shut-up, but when they did, he only cried out louder: “Son of David, have mercy on me!!!” (Extra exclamation points…)

Jesus stopped when He heard all the commotion, and asked for someone to bring the blind man to Him. He then asked: “What do you want me to do for you?” And when the blind man answered, he said: “Lord, I want to see.” And Jesus commuted his plight. Jesus healed him.

That’s what we should expect from God. That’s what we should come to God and ask for: commutation. Much of the time our issues are of our own device. Much of the time the foolishness with which we have lived, is of our own choosing, reasoning, and action. And the fruit of our choice is the consequence in which we now live. And it’s mostly where we will stay. For the rest of our days. Unless.

Unless, someone comes along and commutes our stupidity, and reduces our plight to renewal. Often the plight is overwhelming. Sometimes we have plans or intentions to deal with our plight only to find it is massively beyond our scope and ability. We need a commutation. And God claims to be in that business – the business of reducing sentences.

Commutation is not something to be offered, nor accepted, lightly. I think the blind man was heard because he, loudly and faithfully, approached God for commutation. I think others thought his blindness was a result of his own doing; and he just needed to man-up and live with it. I think he did, that day, what no one else in the crowd was willing to do: holler out to God for help.

What he did makes me re-assess my thoughts of commutation. It makes me re-assess my thoughts of my faith and just how much I need God’s help. I’m seeking commutation for my own issues, foolishness, and stupidity. I’m seeking God for thinking too highly of myself and I’m asking for a commutation of the consequences. My problem is, I claim to see; and that is worse than admitting I’m blind in my choices. God help me!

Father in Heaven, I haven’t released thousands of government secrets, but I have made some other pretty stupid mistakes along the way. Today, I pray for commutation; which is really my asking for Your help, deliverance, and healing. Thank You for Your grace today, that though I deserve much worse, You have given me what I didn’t deserve: Your love, Your mercy, and Your friendship. You’re a good, good Father! Amen

No comments: