Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Treasure in Your Sacks

1/17/2017

Genesis 43.23 “It's all right," he said. "Don't be afraid. Your God, the God of your father, has given you treasure in you sacks; I received your silver." Then he brought Simeon out.

It’s not what the servant did, it’s what they thought God did. Now, miracles come in all kinds, shapes, and sizes but one thing always remains the same: God’s love for His people.

Joseph’s brothers were in a strange place. Things were happening to them that were beyond their control. They went to Egypt because their father Jacob had sent them. They left Simeon behind because the governor of Egypt demanded that they would. And the silver in their sacks had been put back in them because Joseph told his servants to do it without his brothers knowing it. Things were happening that they couldn’t explain and they had no control over.

I think God deals with us that way; things happen to us that are beyond our control and God says, trust Me. Joseph’s brothers had grown quite content doing things all by themselves and on their own. But that wasn’t God’s heart for them – God wanted them humble and submissive. I think God desires the same for you and me.

The silver was in their sacks and they had no idea how it had got there. When they asked, the servant said, “I already have your silver, God must’ve done that for you. God must’ve put the silver in your sacks.” I think God was trying to get their attention: I am in control of this: not you.

I look at my own circumstances and I see that I too, have no control over things like the weather; or my clients and what they think is important. Their time is their time. I have no control, ah, but I do have the grace to pray. I heard a man say, that mercy is not getting what I deserve; and grace is getting what I don't deserve. I had to stop and think about that.

God was not toying with these men; He was demonstrating His grace and mercy to them. He had called them. He had made promises to their ancestors, and He wasn’t about to leave them in the lurch…but they, like us, had to learn that.

Like many, I could use some treasure in my sack today, but I’d rather make do without and learn the lessons God is teaching me than take the silver and run from His mercy and grace.

Father in Heaven, Thank You for Your promises. Thank You for Joseph – Your chosen instrument to bring mercy and grace to those who’d perhaps, forgotten that You always have promised to take care of Your own. Thank You that You haven’t forgotten about Your own and as the Psalmist said in Psalm 5: In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. Amen

No comments: