Friday, January 20, 2017

His Ways

1/20/2017

Isaiah 55.8-11 8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10 As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. – God

I read this today and realized just how foolish I am at times (well, all the time). I tend to believe very strongly in the sovereignty of God and it both comforts me, and scares me to death.

He says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways…” This is true, but it’s not easy. I want to know more of why, this happens and that doesn’t. But my wanting to know works against me because God doesn’t have to tell me; I just need to trust Him. I get what I need from His Word.

He says, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

I get most of this, but the scary part is the part where He says, “It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” I must humble myself and trust that His purpose is for me, and not otherwise. When things are not going my way, I tend to feel His purpose is against me. Who is God that He even thinks of me?

Faith is more than a fleeting feeling. I can treat it that way, but do so to my own disadvantage. Faith is not a silly little impulse; it’s a vital way of living for those who believe. And where I get into trouble is I tend to believe more when things are going my way. I believe less when I run into difficulties. I cry out most when I am in difficulty. Maybe that’s part of why His ways are higher that my ways.

God’s purpose is greater than me. God’s word will accomplish in me beyond what I can ask or imagine. My ways are less than His ways, but my way is to cooperate with His ways and learn to walk in them so that His purposes may be achieved in me. Sometimes it feels like it isn’t working so well.

And His promise is that as I cooperate and go along with His word, His word will: not return to Him empty, but will accomplish what He desire[s] and achieve the purpose for which He sent it. Today, I just have to be good with that.

Father, today is the day to rise up in faith and accept, that it is all bigger than me; and You have promised to help me if I cooperate with You through Your word. Father, accomplish in me what You desire and achieve the purpose for which You sent Your word. Thank You for Your great love and for Your eternal purpose, which (somehow) includes me. Amen

No comments: