Saturday, January 7, 2017

Act Accordingly

1/7/2017

Genesis 18.14 “Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.” – God

The ancient Book of Genesis is full of life and all that comes with it; Abraham experienced that. One day while he was minding his own business, three visitors showed up, and it spun Abraham into action. (Obviously these three appeared different, and Abraham was astute enough to see that these three weren’t the usual suspects he ran across in his part of the world.) Abraham was hospitable and gracious. He recognized difference when he saw it.

Now, the interesting part, is one of the visitors, apparently the leader, said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son.” (V. 10) Abraham, who was used to talking with God, probably knew these three were other-worldly. He probably realized that there was more to the visit than the weather and who was going to win the NCAA National Championship game. (By the way, the weather here is colder than blue blazes, and I think someone is going to win the game.)

Now, Sarah was listening from inside the tent and she laughed, Yeah, right! Oft times our attitude toward things is revealed in what we say and how we act about those things. Sarah had been told she was going to have a child and it hadn’t happened according to her timetable, and I suspect she’d gotten a bit cynical about it. Her laugh was that of bitter cynicism.

Now, the other thing to remember, is that our attitude toward things, is visible and audible to others. What we say and how we act toward things is noticeable to others. I’m not really sure what Sarah’s attitude was toward the visitors but it might’ve been along the line of “Now what!?” And when one of them said she was going to have a baby the following year, she laughed, but there was no humor…

How we act and what we say reveals a lot about how we feel about God. In many ways, we are just like Sarah: God, You said, and lots of time has passed, and ain’t nuthin’s happ’nin! What’s going on!? Our faith needs some adjusting. I always wonder just what went through Sarah’s mind the day she discovered she was, heavy with child… I wonder what she thought every time she and Abraham set out to make a baby… Is this the one?

Our attitude toward God’s promises needs to be carefully guarded against our limited timeline and expectation. Either God is going to come through and He’s not in a hurry, therefore we needn’t be either; or He’s not going to come through at all, and our faith is vanity toward an impotent, uncaring God. We really need to be careful what we think and how we think…and how we act.

I am asking God for a particular thing and He is asking me to wait. The other day I reminded Him of what He did for the widow of Nain in raising her boy from the dead; and I just happened to read that today I  Luke’s gospel. God reminded me: Nothing is too hard for the Lord. I just need to believe that, and say, and act, accordingly…

Father God, You are always faithful and nothing is too hard for You. I will say with my mouth and believe in my heart that is true. And I will seek to help others believe that as well. Thank You for what You are doing and how You are providing for me and countless others, because You are God! Amen

No comments: