Sunday, August 21, 2016

Where God Sends

8/21/2016

Psalm 118.9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.

Whether or not it is the central verse in Scripture, it’s still true: it is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.

In the final hours of Judah, the southern kingdom, there was much effort on the part of the God’s people to thwart the siege of the invading Babylonians. What is absolutely remarkable is the warning of God through Jeremiah, the prophet:

“Furthermore, tell the people, ‘This is what the Lord says: See, I am setting before you the way of life and the way of death. Whoever stays in this city will die by the sword, famine or plague. But whoever goes out and surrenders to the Babylonians who are besieging you will live; they will escape with their lives. I have determined to do this city harm and not good, declares the Lord. It will be given into the hands of the king of Babylon, and he will destroy it with fire.’”
(Jeremiah 21.8-10)

No wonder they hated Jeremiah. But what is worse, they couldn’t believe what Jeremiah said God was going to do to them. Jeremiah’s prophecy was the last great prophetic vision before the exile and captivity. And listening to God, He wanted it to happen. God wanted to have His people surrender to this great pagan king, Nebuchadnezzar. And the locals thought Jeremiah was a spy and a traitor for the Babylonians. (They didn’t know Who they were dealing with…)

King Zedekiah (not a good guy) sent Jeremiah a message asking him to inquire of the Lord to see if God would change his mind and God responded: See, I am setting before you the way of life and the way of death. Choose! They couldn’t have it both ways. God wouldn’t let them.

Sometimes in life, the way of God leads through what seems to be tough times; and where God seems to be nowhere in sight. But Lord, I am Your child! How can I do that!? Where are You God!? It’s hard for us to remember He’s right where He always is, and we are right where He wants us to be. And that can be just about anywhere under just about any circumstances… Where God guides, God provides… I have a new one: Where God sends, God intends.

Where we look for help is telling of what is really in our heart. Often, when God seems to be absent, we tend to look to those in our lives from whom we think we can find relief. It is better to trust in God than to trust in princes, people, relatives, friends, or the sympathetic. Misery may love company, but it really needs God.

I think that’s one of our biggest battles: to whom do we turn when things turn tough? This morning is a reminder to me: it is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.

Father, find me at Your throne whether I see You or not. Help me to lay out my concerns and cares before You, and then to wait and see what You will do. Even if it is to the equivalency of going into captivity, I must believe: there I am safe, there I am cared for, and there is where I will trust in You, not in princes… Amen

No comments: