Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Understanding

8/11/2016

Jeremiah 9.23 This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, 24 but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord. – Jeremiah

Maybe it’s just my personality or my way of seeing things, but this resonates with me: boast in the Lord. Boast in the fact that He has revealed Himself to me and I know Him. I suppose in one way it takes the pressure off – that I have to perform to meet someone’s standards. I know the Lord; He has revealed Himself to me.

Religion makes a big deal about human stuff – intellect, experience, knowing, doing, having, being present. And I suppose in one way so does relationship with the Lord. But the big difference is this: religion is man-focused, and relationship with Jesus is friendship-focused between the finite and the eternal. You boast about your friends.

I know, or at least feel, that I don’t have all that much to offer. I can’t show you a resume’ full of credentials to impress you with what I know and who. I just don’t have all that. But I do have Jesus. I do have an understanding of who He is because He has shown Himself to me. And I care about you. Jesus has given me that much.

The Lord delights in those who have the understanding He’s given. Remarkably, He gives it to everyone, but not everyone sees, hears, or knows. I think that’s why His people are called to evangelize and relate to others in a way that they can relate to Him. And hopefully become His friend, His delight.

Paul said in Romans 1: For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” (Vv. 16, 17) Friends boast about each other. The saved boast about their Savior.

What’s wrong with this world? Well, just start talking and we’ll soon see. What’s right with this world? Boast to me about God. Tell me you have the understanding to know Him. It doesn’t make my problems go away, but it enables me to see past them. Problems aren’t the end; Jesus is.

Help me today, Lord, to share and boast about You. In a world full of confused and frightened people, help me to boast that You have given me the understanding to know You. Help me to verbalize that You exercise kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in those things You delight. May I boast in that. Amen

No comments: