Thursday, August 18, 2016

Validation

8/18/2016

John 20.29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Yesterday, I had coffee with a friend I haven’t seen for a while, and we had a great conversation. You know when you’re in the presence of a friend because when you begin to speak the conversation seems to pick up right where you left off since you last spoke.

As we talked, we seemed to hover around the concept of validation and how we humans seem to need to be validated for what we think, what we say, and what we believe. We seem to need to have others accept our worldview for what it is. Validation is everywhere – in vocation, in leisure, in learning; in every area of life. We seem to want/need others to accept what we think, as valid.

Poor old St. Thomas. He wanted proof. He needed Jesus to show him something that would validate everything he’d heard, and all that he’d believed. So, he threw down an ultimatum: “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” I want proof! Can you blame him; his Savior just died, and now they say He's alive...

Nothing wrong with asking for proof. Nothing wrong with seeking validation – after all, we want to know if what we know is right, and good, or acceptable; we want to know if we’re on the right path. If we’re wrong, then let us know; but if we’re right, then let us know.

A problem with validation is that it can become a crutch of sorts because we begin to seek validation from a select group of people or from an individual from whom we value their validation. And we use validation to prove that we belong. Thomas said he wouldn’t believe unless he saw cold hard proof; Jesus replied: Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed; [but] blessed are those who have not seen, and yet believed. They’re never gonna see the proof; but they’ve believed anyway.

Where do we seek and draw our validation? Do we seek to be accepted because we tow a party-line? Or do we accept some things by faith because the simple proof is in the simple belief? And, where does our ultimate validation come from? Where do we find our ultimate meaning and purpose on this earth? Do we find it in our self-love, leisure, and expression; or do we find it in serving the needs of others?

Validation ultimately comes from God – after all, He created us and put us here. So, what is God seeking from us, and how does that meld into our culture and worldview? Jesus wasn’t mad at Thomas for wanting proof. I do think He gave Thomas a lesson in faith – after all, I have never seen the nail-marks, I have never felt the nail-holes, and I have never touched the pierced side. But I accept it all by faith.

Jesus, I think true belief is true validation and I believe true validation only comes from You. I’ve had to accept, by faith, what You’ve done for me all those years ago, and I seek to have that do something in my life besides cause me to show up at church and agree with others that You, in fact, did what You did. (My attendance in church validates nothing.) I pray to serve You by serving others and somehow find true meaning and purpose in that. I’ll leave the validation up to You. Help me, lead me, and show me the way to go – in Your Name, amen.

No comments: