Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Weird Inside

8/10/2016

John 12.40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn—and I would heal them.” – St. John quoting Isaiah

What do you do around someone you really don’t like? I’ll bet you clam up. I’ll bet you avert your gaze. I’ll bet you get all weird. I’ll bet you try to act all calm and natural, but insider you’re all stirred up. I’ll bet you’re uncomfortable. It’s what we do. The other person may not even acknowledge us, but inside we’re all weird. It’s what they do to us because we let them.

I understand the concept of letting someone live rent-free in my head – I do it all the time. I want to control things and can’t, and, well, there ya go: I get all weird inside. The problem with being weird inside is what happens outside. Isaiah said: “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn—and I would heal them.” When God shows up, people get weird.

I find it interesting how the tense of the verse changes from ‘He’, to ‘I’. God really cares about His creation but His creation gets really weird when He shows up. They clam up. They avert their gaze. They try to act all calm and natural, but inside their all stirred up. They think: What does He want, and why can’t He ‘want it’ from someone else!? Why does He want it from me!?

We humans have such a high opinion of ourselves and we can’t believe that God actually wants to be a part of our living. The funny part is God doesn’t push Himself on anyone; the reality is: it’s God’s party. We didn’t ask to be invited, we don’t like the invitation, but we had no control over it and now we pout because God has given us life, and we’d like it if He’d just leave us alone! (Sounds like we’re the ones with the problem, not God.) Weird inside is weird.

God does funny things to people just by showing up. We have such opinions of Someone we don’t really even know. And man, do we want to control Him! No wonder we get so weird.

And all God wants is to free us from our weirdness. He created us without asking our permission and has given us life and this bizarre thing called free-will, and He just wants to be friends. But what reaction He gets from the creatures He’s created with free-will.

What’s truly remarkable is some take Him up on His offer and He heals them. He makes them different. He opens their hearts to realms unknown to the average Joe who wants nothing to do with Him. God is remarkably different than we want Him to be. And He heals those who turn to Him. He drives some nuts just by showing up; but He changes others just by showing up. Our God is an awesome God.

The world will be what the world will be, and men will believe what men believe; but some will turn to God and ask for friendship, and receive from Him abundantly! They will turn, and He will heal them…

Father, You are weird to many, and loved by some. You don’t make anyone do anything, but You do have an effect on the fearful and doubting. I pray that somehow, some way, the people I know that fear You would turn and find You enchanting, engaging, and a Friend. We all need friends, but none is better than You! Amen

No comments: