Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Buy My Field

8/23/2016

Jeremiah 32.26-27 26 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: 27 “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?”

The end of Judah was rapidly approaching – the Babylonians had surrounded Jerusalem and the siege ramps had been built. Food was beginning to run short and people were panicked. Many thought God would swoop in and save them but doubts ran high.

In those days Jeremiah ‘the traitor’ had been imprisoned in the courtyard of the guard by Zedekiah the king. Zedekiah didn’t like the prophesies Jeremiah spoke.

One day Jeremiah received a word from the Lord saying: Hanamel son of Shallum your uncle is going to come to you and say, ‘Buy my field at Anathoth, because as nearest relative it is your right and duty to buy it.’ And sure enough Hanamel showed up and asked Jeremiah to buy the field in Anathoth.

What’s curious is that the end was almost upon them and nobody held much hope for any kind of reasonable solution. The Babylonians were not known for reasonable solutions. But Jeremiah went ahead and bought the field as God directed him and Jeremiah said: “…And though the city will be given into the hands of the Babylonians, you, Sovereign Lord, say to me, ‘Buy the field with silver and have the transaction witnessed.’” In other words, Lord, I’ve bought the field, but it looks like we’re toast!

And God replied: “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?”

When God tells us to buy a field, we need to buy it. When God surrounds us with impossible situations and then tells us: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14.27) then we need to have peace. When God says, “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?” We need to believe.

Jeremiah hadn’t a clue as to what was going to happen but God told him to relax: Is anything too hard for Me? When our situations and circumstances want to engulf us and carry us off in fear and defeat, it might be a good idea to remember what God asked Jeremiah: Is anything too hard for Me? To Jeremiah it was ridiculous to buy that field – what purpose would it serve? Who would take care of it? What’s the point!? God said: Son, is anything too hard for Me?

Today, I feel as if God is asking me the same question in my own circumstances. Today in the midst of what I am facing, I think God is asking me: is anything too hard for Me? To which I must respond: No, Lord, nothing is too hard for You. I am asked to believe. I am asked to pray. I am asked to stand firm.

Friends, is anything in our lives too hard for God to deal with?

Father, to worry and fret, and fear is foolishness, if I claim You as my God and King. I’m better off not to believe at all if I’m going to dishonor You by worrying, fretting, and being fearful. Thank You for helping Jeremiah to calm down; thank You for doing the same for me. You are the Lord, nothing is too hard for You. Amen

No comments: