Sunday, August 7, 2016

Lord, I Believe

8/7/2016

John 9.38 Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. – St. John

John 9, is a very important chapter in the Gospel of John. In it, Jesus is asked by His disciples, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” (John 9.2) It’s a question that is asked all the time when something unfortunate (or misfortunate) happens to someone. I know, my first child was born with severe disabilities and extraordinary inabilities. What happened: Who sinned, me or him?

Well, it couldn’t have been him because what happened to him, happened in the womb; so if he did sin, he sinned in the womb. I don’t know what or how, but if he was guilty of sin, it had to be before he was born, because none of us knew anything until after he was born. So, if we follow that logic, then it must have been me. If God is a God of payback, then it must’ve been because of me. And every misfortune that has happened to me since then, has been God just paying me back – right?

Thank God, Jesus said the question of ‘who sinned’ was faulty logic. “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him”. (John 9.3) What happens in life happens because we live in a fallen world, and babies are born with birth-defects because that is part and parcel of the world in which we live. And people sin – that too, is part and parcel of our world.

God, however, is a God of rescue – He desires to rescue and redeem us from this world where it’s easy to ask, ‘who sinned?’ because none of us knows the answer, and there has to be (we reason) some explanation. The explanation is, God knows, and for now we just have to be happy with that – AND – Jesus said (at least in this event), “…this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.” God is involved in every aspect of our lives – good, bad, or inexplicable.

And here’s the deal: “Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped”. The man knew it was way beyond him, and he simply bowed his heart in the presence of God. That ought to be the natural reaction of everyone who encounters the presence and power of God: Lord, I believe.

I focused on the word, worship. I wonder, did he fall to his knees? Did he bow his head? Or did he simply reach that place in his understanding that he truly stood in the presence of the Almighty, and he did what was appropriate: he worshiped? Whatever the case, he gave God glory for his situation, and his heart changed. That ought to be the result of appropriate worship whether in the presence of a miracle, or sitting in church, or crying out in prayer: Lord, I worship You!

My child died at age 14. I was in the room when it happened. I worshiped because it was the right thing at the right time, and, for the right reason. I watched as my son breathed his last breath and his spirit was carried to heaven. I worshiped because his tortured life came – mercifully – to an end; and I praised God for the outcome. It was over.

Father, my prayer is this: Lord, I believe. I believe in You, and I believe You. You have said You will take care of Your own and will redeem those who come to You believing; and, Lord, I believe it. My belief doesn’t make it true, but my worship is accepted, because You believe. Lord, I believe. Amen

No comments: