Saturday, August 13, 2016

Remain

8/13/2016

John 15.7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. – Jesus

My dog Sophie is a smart dog – she can sit, she can shake, she can, Lay down; she can, C’mon! She likes to, Go? And she loves her evening walks. She’s a good dog but she has her moments. If she doesn’t want to do something, she acts as if she’s gone deaf. If she really doesn’t want to do something she gets under one of the end-tables in the living room and sulks, averting your gaze. Sophie is a lot like me.

At the end of His earthly mission Jesus gathered His men and told them: Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. He was telling them to stick around and to keep in constant contact with Him. No wandering off; no going it alone.

Then He said, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” That’s a big statement. It wasn’t a blank check, but it was a promise: If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. Remain. I can’t teach my dog that – she has to want to. Jesus can’t teach us that either – we have to want it.

Remaining in Jesus is a choice, a commitment. One has to make up one’s mind that remaining is what is going to be done – then done. And when we remain in Him, our lives begin to lose the clinginess that is the world, and we start to become more heavenly. We become so heavenly minded that we’re of no earthly good. We love God to the point that we do whatever we want because of that love.

And we ask Jesus for things out of that heavenly mindedness and guess what? He grants.

But it all begins with, Remain. It begins with eager submission and ends with resolute obedience. And it takes practice, practice, practice. It takes getting out into the world. It also takes being quiet in prayer. But it takes a constant awareness of Jesus and what it is He desires for us in any given moment. And then when we’re attuned – to Him, we ask whatever we wish because our wishes have become His wishes. His wishes are the best!

Jesus isn’t about to start circumventing free-will, but He does know hearts, and He leads us to hearts that are needy. He knows conversations with others and building relationships with them, is how the good news – the really good news – begins to penetrate their needy hearts and bring about change. But it starts with one remaining in Him.

Today, is yet another day of remaining in Him; although, like Sophie, I’m sure it will have its moments…

Lord, may I continue to learn to remain in You. Apart from You I can do nothing. May I learn to let go and let You. May I learn, lead, and love. May I become so You-minded that I am of no self-good. Thank You for grace. Thank You for Your promise. Draw me close to You. Amen

No comments: