Monday, July 18, 2016

Visible Belief

7/18/2016

James 2.18 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. – St. James

I almost think old James got his words mixed up – he might’ve wanted to say, I have deeds, show me your faith. If this is an objection, then faith must be accompanied with deeds. There has to be some visible action that goes along with faith. That is his argument.

I wasn’t there ,and I can see what was inside his head, but I think we have inferred that James was making his case against the one who seemed to think that faith is simply belief – all mental – and no action.  So, this all boils down to visible belief.

Does what I do underscore what I believe? I think James was making that case although I think his wording might've been a little off. The argument in his epistle is for authenticity in the faith; favoritism is wrong in the light of love your neighbor as yourself. Certainly there are those in this life that we prefer, but there is no place for preference (in that light) among God’s people. If there is then where and who is our neighbor?

So, the test for James was: if you claim to have faith but cannot back it up with action, what is your faith really made of? Just head knowledge? And he said, the demons believe, but they sure don’t obey. Faith without action is dead.

I think he should’ve said: I have deeds, but you claim faith. Show me your faith without deeds and I will show you my faith by my deeds. The point is authenticity. If out of our mouth proclaims to be faith, then out of our life ought to be acts of kindness and love; the physical meeting of the needs of others. True religion, says James, is to care for widows and orphans in their need. That’s faith.

We do because we love. We love because we are loved. Our faith is simply belief in action (with actions). That, I think is the lesson James is trying to teach: get out there and do something that shows your faith…in action.

It is said, that St. Francis of Assissi said, Go into all the world and preach the gospel; if necessary use words. I think he got the lesson. I am to serve others with my life, in action, because that is the sum of my faith in Him who’s done so much for me.

Father, fill my life with action today. Show me where and how to serve and my I love my neighbor as myself – amen.

No comments: