Friday, July 8, 2016

The Jesus Picture

7/8/2016

Hebrews 5. 7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

I have a hard time picturing Jesus offering up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears. The word fervent strikes an odd conjure in me. I am more comfortable with Jesus meek and mild. Predictable. Safe. Tame. I have a tough time with Jesus fervent and wild. It’s because my Jesus picture is incomplete and I see Him how I want to see Him. (Maybe I'm afraid God wants me to act that way...)

The writer of the book of Hebrews must have had some good intel on Jesus. He must have had some accounts of the Lord that would curl my hair. His descriptor here in this short chapter is intense. I admit, a lot of days, my relationship with God lacks intensity. I’m thinking about making some changes.

There is a lady in my church that gets called on every once in a while to pray (during our times of corporate prayer) and when she does, her voice goes into fervent, and her eyes go into tears. I don’t think it’s just whipping oneself into a frenzy, I think it’s a condition of the heart. I think given the cultural and political landscape we find ourselves it is no time for anything less than fervent cries and tears.

Jesus was not immune to the culture and politics of His day. I think He was angry at the abuse and oppression by His own leaders against their people at the expense of the occupying Romans. I think Jesus was saddened and angered at the people’s lack of trust in God, and their own lack of fervent cries and tears except when someone was brutally cut down short in life and no one seemed to care.

Today, we have leaders who seem to be immune to the rules the rest of us have to live by. If we’re not careful we’ll usher in cataclysmic results: if so and so can do that, so can I! That won’t work, but surely some will try to exploit it. And today we seem to be in a racial frenzy, like we’re the evilest, oppressive people in the world. Skin color has become a weapon, not for change, but for division. Who is assaulting Heaven with loud cries and tears over that?

Jesus, a single simple man, came into His situation and cried out to God over it. There may be loud cries and tears out there somewhere, but it’s pretty quiet here in my little berg… The difference, to me, seems to be what Jesus did because of His reverent submission to His Father. God calls you and me to pray. I’m lacking, how about you?

Reverent submission is a part of the Jesus picture I do get. Jesus honored God by including Him in the conversation. Today, while it’s called today, needs to be for me, a day of reverent submission. I may not use loud cries and tears in my soundproof office (it used to be where counseling took place) but then again, I might. I’m challenged today, to up the volume, and increase the fervor. Reverently. Submissively. Is there anything too difficult for God?

Father, thank You for answering my prayer yesterday and I cry out to You again today. My prayer is, move me to move. If Jesus did, then it’s good enough for me too! Amen

No comments: