Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Way of the Wise

7/19/2016

James 3.13-14 13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.

I read this today and began to ask myself: what is the importance of wisdom? I saw that St. James said the wise are those who lead a good life, and do good things in humility. And then I saw that humility comes from wisdom. And then, I thought: God gives grace to the humble, but opposes the proud. I’m beginning to view humility in a different way…

True wisdom is not the accumulation of knowledge; true wisdom is the right application of that knowledge in life and spiritual things. Humility is the child of the wise.

Another thought I had today was this: who boasts about bitter envy and selfish ambition? That seems a bit over the top. But actually, we see it all the time in the lives and actions of the unwise; in their schemes, their plans, their ambitions to do as only they want to do. They boast, they proclaim.

I think ours is a world of dichotomy: a place of two kingdoms, and two worldviews. I believe there are the wise, and there are the foolish. I think there are the humble, and there are the proud. I have believed that the wise always have the right answer; today I see that the wise have the right life: a life of goodness and deeds done in humility. The wise don’t seek recognition, they seek the truth borne out in acts of kindness and goodness.

The humble are the wise in this world. The proud are the arrogant. 

Because we are a world, and our existence is in such a place, we see – often – that the worldly get their way. Their view of measurement is accumulation and boasting of what they have and do. Life on the planet is a life of possession, position, and production. If a worldly gets his way it’s all because he’s bought into the façade of possession, position, and production; he wants to be seen and he wants to be heard and valued because of who he is, and what he has and does. It’s all about appearances.

Not so the humble. Not so the heavenly. Not so the wise. To them, there are no trophies, treasures, and trinkets because these have no bearing on the one whose focus in not of this world, and the way it measures success. Their possession, position, and production are all measured in quiet and simple ways – the ways that say, I value you, and here’s how. Acts of love and kindness; fighting against the loud and noisy boastings of the worldly.

I had to think about this today. I had to ask myself, where do I fit in, in this world? Am I one who is wise; or one who is boasting? Have I boasted about my possessions, positions, or production? And if so, to what end? I think I like the humility of the wise. It is no less hard work than the arrogance of the proud; it is just using the same energy to make a different difference.

Father, may Your Spirit teach me and show me the different way – the way of the wise. May I seek to use my energy and efforts to make a heavenly difference in this hectic and harried world where such smallness is so sought after. Help me this day, to be wise and to think of others, serving them in their need. Forgive me of my boasting – amen.

No comments: