Tuesday, July 26, 2016

God Portage

7/26/2016

Isaiah 46.1b, 4 1b The images that are carried about are burdensome, a burden for the weary.
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. – God

In Isaiah 48.22 it says, “There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.” The word peace can also mean rest. Either way, the ways of the wicked are burdensome. They have to carry their own images and idols because those images and idols cannot carry themselves. I read this and thought: god portage – having to carry my own god.

In life, I’ve had to carry enough of my own stuff. I’ve never had to carry God, but I’m sure He’s put in His time carrying me. The thought of bearing my own god struck me as ridiculous this morning. Of all the crap I’m facing, I’ve got to carry you as well!? If you’re such a god, carry yourself!

Gods are supposed to do the heavy lifting. Gods are supposed to ease the burdens of men. The problem with gods is they are usually of our own making, and thereby need someone to carry their sorry butts. On top of all the worship and whining, my little ol’ gods demand I carry them as well. Yeesh!

But Isaiah said just three verses later: Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Is. 46.4) Now that sounds better. I’m into a God who will carry me when I need carried (and that’s just about all of the time!) I think about older age and I don’t see a very pretty picture. I’m gonna hang onto this promise.

I don’t need to carry around God, I need Him to carry me – I’m stupid and foolish and prone to knee-jerking. I need Someone to help me when I do such foolishness. And I need to depend on Someone who will help me in my older days, the days of my frailty. I want to be carried, not because I am lazy, but because I need it. Thank You God that You’ve promised!

We’re not to live in the future but we’re to respect the fact that day after day it gets closer and closer. We’re to live in the moment and trust God for the next one. Fear can creep in and get us all wound up about thoughts of the future, but Jesus calls us to trust Him in our present moment. I think He said something like: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matt. 6.34) Sounds like good advice to me.

I have two choices: I can carry around the little god of my own making, or I can allow God to carry me. I can worry about tomorrow, or, I can live in the moment and allow God to take care of my tomorrows; the choice is mine. Today, I’m about choiced-out: I need God. I need God to accept all of my cares because He cares about me. And He gives favor to the humble. Boy! Do I need that!

Father in Heaven, thank You for Your promises to keep me and carry me in my old age. I really need some of that right now; we’ll meet the gray days when they get here. Lord keep me from worry – which is sin. Help me to be grateful in the moment and trusting about the future; You’ve got my bases covered! - Amen

No comments: