Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Triad of Presence

12.08.13

1 Timothy 1.5 5 The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (ESV)

Triads. They’re crazy things and they appear in every part of life. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; spirit, soul, and body; proton, neutron, electron; earth, wind, fire; Crosby, Stills, and Nash... (Sorry, I couldn’t resist…). Paul said the aim of our charge (command, directive, impetus) is love that comes from the triad of: purity of heart, cleanliness of conscience, and a sincerity of faith. Possess these three, and love pours forth! A good stool has at least three legs.

I discussed yesterday, the conundrum of faith in that: is Jesus expecting something from us behaviorally that we’re to manufacture, or is He keenly aware of what His presence and power will bring forth in our lives? The difficulty is what we hear Paul saying in his epistles to us: that our lives need some effort on our part to receive, accept, and appropriate the presence and power of Jesus (the Holy Spirit). That is what makes the difference in our lives – not our effort.

So, how do we triangulate the triad of a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith? How does that work without effort on our part? I think it boils down to cooperation and obedience. If Jesus, by His Spirit, dwells within us then it’s incumbent upon us to cooperate with His presence. And as we recognize, receive, accept, and appropriate our actions and attitudes toward that presence the result is purity, goodness, and a faith that is genuine and sincere. We’re not manufacturing anything – He is as we cooperate, eagerly and willingly, with Him.

And then and there love flows… like a flood.

I tend to be analytical. (Really Paul, we never noticed!) And I see love as something that requires effort from me – as if I have to have a part in it. Love has to do with me only as the banks of a river contain the normal flow of the water. When I look at a river, I am glad for the banks but I concentrate on the flow. The first time I ever saw the Mississippi River I didn’t exclaim: O! The banks! No, I said: Wow! What a river!! The water only flows between the banks.

Love in my life flows not from self-manufacture, but from presence: His presence. And His presence creates purity, goodness, and living faith flowing within the banks of my being – sometimes the banks are not enough. And the more I walk with Him the more the banks are not enough…

Lord Jesus,

Today, I see and celebrate Your presence and power within me creating a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith; and everything else that comes with that. Lord, may I cease trying to manufacture that which I already have. May I simply recognize, receive, accept, and appropriate what You have placed in me because You live in me – in Your Name, amen.

No comments: