Thursday, December 5, 2013

Desperado

12.05.13

Psalm 119.27-29 27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works. 28 My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word! 29 Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! (ESV)

“Desperado,
Ohhhh you ain't getting no younger
Your pain and your hunger,
They're driving you home
And freedom, ohh freedom.
Well that's just some people talking
Your prison is walking through this world all alone”*

I have maintained for quite some time that desperation is motivation; there aren’t too many desperate people just waiting around for the next move: they take it! The writer of Psalm 119 seemed to be desperate: God! Make me understand! Strengthen me! Put false ways away from me! Graciously teach me Your law! Desperate people make such demands. They don’t have time to waste and every passing moment without relief is like another bucket of gas thrown onto a raging fire of need: GOD HELP ME!!

The writer of Psalm 119 sounds desperate to me.

Questions: What is the driving need of your life? What are you desperate for? How irritated or agitated are you that the need seems long in being met? Will life remain a colorless drab grayish color until that need is taken care of? How many times will you walk down that same plain white hall toward the same steel door marked disappointment unless things change? How desperate are you?

Conclusions: What bugs me is I see glimpses of brilliant sunshine just beyond the banks of fog. What frustrates me is the same dull colorless life that I push myself through day after day, week after week knowing that warm and brilliant sunshine is waiting and beckoning. My desperation grows and the word of God says: God! Make me understand! Strengthen me! Put false ways away from me! Graciously teach me Your law! (And don’t let me loose until it happens!) The desperate throw themselves on the mercy of God and plead: God! Make me understand! Strengthen me! Put false ways away from me! Graciously teach me Your law!

So, Father, that is my prayer: Make me understand! Strengthen me! Put false ways away from me! Graciously teach me Your law! And don’t let me loose until it happens! Amen!




*Desperado HENLEY, DON / FREY, GLENN LEWIS 1973 Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., Don Henly/Glenn Frey/Eagles

No comments: