Sunday, December 15, 2013

Living Faith

12.15.13

James 2.17 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

I think I saw into the little epistle of James differently today. I know in centuries past Martin Luther really objected to James being included in the cannon because Luther fought hard against the notion that one could work his way into God’s favor (a notion that was being taught by the larger Church at that time.) Luther seemed to think James’ letter advocated that too…

First, I saw that James (the writer) referenced the “Royal Law” in 2.8. I used to think he was referencing the Mosaic/Levitical Law, but that’s not the case. Yes, he was writing to a Jewish audience, but he makes a point of only mentioning, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Jesus said the whole Jewish law hinged on two things: loving God and loving others as oneself. That is the Royal Law. Nothing more. If we keep the Royal Law, what more is there?

Well, our older brother said: works. And here is where I think the light came on for me again today: the works of which James spoke weren’t works to impress God but works to prove God. That’s why he made the statement above: So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. Faith in God is shown by love for others and love for others is shown by selfless acts of love and goodness toward them. The works of which James spoke demonstrate, tangibly, a love for God that is show by an actionable love for people.

Now there are those who say, Well, I don’t need to have God (faith) to show goodness and kindness to others! (V. 18: “You have faith and I have works.”) So, James responds: Show me your faith (your belief in your own goodness) apart from your works, and I will show you my faith (in God's goodness) by my works. He makes the claim that works apart from faith is no faith at all. And faith in God is inseparable from works. Again, the works aren’t to impress God, but to show where God lives: in hearts of love.

The Royal Law is this: love God by loving people by doing good to them. This proves God in the heart. My relationship with God ought to be manifest in my care and concern for others and by actions of goodness toward them that bear witness of my love and concern.

When you come into the store where I work, I am paid to treat you well, it’s my job. If I fail to treat you well I better have a dang good reason for not; but I am still accountable to this: the customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the customer. The royal law of retail then is treat them consistently better at your store than they get treated somewhere else so they’ll come back to where they get treated the better.

God asks that we take it one step further: Prove your love for Me them by putting your belief in Me into actions of goodness, kindness, and love toward them! That is faith with works and that is living faith.

Today Lord, may I live love by loving You and may my love for You be proved in my acts of kindness and goodness done to others. In Your Name, amen.

No comments: