Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Little Epistles

12.07.13

Colossians 2.6 6 Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. (ESV)

On Thursdays I meet with a beloved group of men from a number of different churches and spiritual backgrounds and we talk theology and encourage one another in Christ. I feel a bond with these guys (several of whom I have now know for nearly eight years). It’s a great time of discussion, prayer, keeping up with what is going on with each other’s fellowships and the things and needs of our little community. We also challenge one another. It’s great!

For the last several weeks we seem to be hovering around the issue of faith, obedience, and behavior in the life of a believer. Scripture seems to indicate both, that we can do nothing apart from Christ, but yet there seems to be a command or an expectation to actively avoid sin and walk in a holy and committed manner after the Lord; and to help others do that as well. I think that is perfectly spelled out in the “little” book of Colossians. I think the verse above states that very well.

Sometimes we forget just how important the “little” books are. How would we survive without the epistles of Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, or the rest? I think, doctrinally speaking, these “little” books are really “giant mountains” of deep and profound discovery into who we really are “in Him” (much like the “Minor” prophets fill in the gaps between the exile and the subsequent four centuries of “quiet”(BC)).

Today, I thought about how much I miss by not spending more time in the majestic mountains of these “little” epistles and just how much these letters contain for my own growth.  Then I thought about how these epistles are foundational to help others who (like me) struggle with things like performance as opposed to position: does Jesus really expect a certain standard of effort and behavior from me, or will I simply change as I choose to hang out with Him?

The New Testament Epistles lean toward effort to “walk in the Way” but we’re to be careful not to do that in our own effort, but proceed only as we walk in continual fellowship with Jesus. We’re to always walk in Him. Every moment; every situation and circumstance.

Lord, thank You for the Little Epistles. Thank You for the words of Paul specifically in Colossians and how they apply to me today. May I not simply check a box as I read through this marvelous letter twice a year, but may I give more of my precious and carefully guarded time to reading and re-reading what You have for me from what You had for the Colossians all those years ago. Help me Lord! Amen.

No comments: