Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Details of Whatever

12.29.13

Revelation 13.9-10 9 If anyone has an ear, let him hear: 10 If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints. (ESV)

The good and bad of a Bible-Reading plan is time. The good time is that amount of time given to such an endeavor and the establishment of a routine of regular reading of the Scripture. The bad is: I don’t have enough time to give to fully study what I read because I want to take extended periods of time to wrap my head around books like Revelation and find out more of what it is they say and why it is that it was so important that it was included in the MIDITU (Most Important Document In The Universe). Work and other stuff get in the way…

John said: “If anyone has an ear, let him hear: If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.” It’s a specific statement given (I assume) to a general group of people who would read his revelation. It’s prefaced with the words: If anyone has an ear, let him hear. And it is concluded with the statement: Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints. Those two statements encompass the heart of the message: If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain.

In other words: whatever happens happens, but in the midst of whatever happens, don’t lose ground in your faith and in the faithful endurance of your life of faith. Faith is too important to be lost by being distracted by captivity or death or whatever; endurance is what is important.

I see stuff happening in our world these days that gives credence to what John wrote nearly 2000 years ago on a rocky island off the shore of ancient Greece. My wife often reminds me: Isn’t it supposed to go from bad to worse? Sadly, I agree.

The issue is: God is determined that I not lose sight of what He is doing or where He has chosen to live: in the hearts of all of His people. God goes out of His way to protect you and me from getting lost in the details of whatever; He cares that much. That is why I must endure in an ever increasingly hostile world that is opposed to my faith in Christ and His mission in our lives.  My only hope is Him. From before the foundations of the world it was ordained that I live in these days. And my only protection is enduring faith.


Father, I think it’s only up to me and that is just my foolish thinking. It’s up to You and You have promised. I pray for perspective to see what is really going on and how I’m to live, and I pray for strength to resist getting distracted by Americanism, politics, and everything else that demands I pay attention to it. I pray for endurance and for what is expected of me since You’ve given me the marvelous gift of faith in the first place… Help me today Lord, amen.

No comments: