Friday, December 6, 2013

Child Slaves

12.06.13

Philippians 1.1 1 Paul and Timothy, servants[a] of Christ Jesus...

Call it my warped personality, or just call it my personality but when there are letters and numbers in parentheses (or brackets) in my Bible I tend to look down at the notes to see what they are there for; inquiring minds want to know.

Today, as I started my reading of Philippians, I noticed an “[a]” right after the word servants in verse 1.1. Of course I quickly looked down to see what the [a] was for and saw that the word servants is translated slaves in the original text (or other ancient versions of the Philippian letter). To read it literally Paul said, Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus

I noticed that Paul didn’t refer to himself as a sinner saved by grace. No, he called himself (and Timothy) a slave of Christ Jesus. It isn’t accidental. It isn’t a lie; it’s the truth: those who are in Christ are slaves of Jesus Christ; it’s the highest honor one can have on earth.

Now wait Paul, I thought the highest honor was to be called Jesus’ friend, or God’s child – now you’re telling me it’s slave? What’ up with that!?

The difference is simply this: we are truly God’s children in reality – that is in fact true. But we are also God’s servants in practice – that is in fact true as well. We are recognized by God as His children, that is why we call Him Father. But in our ministry (and we are all ministers) we are slaves or servants who do what we are called or told to do by Him. Slave doesn’t negate child, nor does child negate slave. Both are different facets of the same gem.

Paul limited himself by calling himself slave. Likewise Paul freed himself by calling himself slave. Paul limited his options, preferences, and rights by seeing himself as Christ’s slave. Slaves have only the right to do what the Master allows and commands they do – nothing more. Slavery is more for the present whereas child is more for the future – in both instances God the Father and Master has perfect plan and purpose. We are now, and always will be: Sent Ones, sent out to do the Master’s will. His will? – Tell others about our experiences with Him and help them see their need for Him. Paul freed himself by believing and focusing on this: being Jesus’ slave.

Son (or child) is positional and granted. Slave, is volitional and obedient: the giving up one’s rights, willingly, to faithfully and completely do what God desires done in this world.

I am a child-slave. So was Paul. So was Timothy, and so is everyone else who is named by the Name. My child-slave purpose is to do the Master’s plan without argument. Without grumbling. And with urgency – do it NOW! Paul said this in 3.17: Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. In other words, see myself as he saw himself: a slave sent by the Master to do what needs to be done.


Father/Master, help me to walk in faith today that I am both child and slave. Help me to really know that my true love for You is doing what You say, without argument and grumbling and with urgency. Trusting You! Amen.

No comments: