Monday, September 30, 2013

The Burning Question

09.30.13

Luke 13.23-24 23 And someone said to him, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” And he said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.” (ESV)

What motivates a person? What causes them to do what they do, and think what they think? These are burning questions to me. I know why some do what they do – I think. They do things which to me are predictable and therefore I form an opinion of why they do what they do. But the problem is: I’ve not access to the inside of them; I don’t really know what’s going on. I think I know but I don’t know for sure.

Recently, a man spoke at our church gathering and told us: don’t judge people, get to know their story. That made sense to me (a consummate judger). I don’t know people the way I think I do and the opinions I form are really just prejudices that come from within me based on my own world-view, experiences, and beliefs. I really don’t know people.

That’s not to say I can’t be around them – how silly! Of course I’m to be around them; how can I not? But where I need to be careful when I’m around them is when I begin to form those opinions by how they look, how they talk; how they behave.

A “someone” in Luke 13 had a burning question: Jesus, will those who are saved be few? I could form an opinion about that if you give me a couple nanoseconds. I’d say that person was shallow, misinformed, afraid, or uncertain. Truth is: I don’t know those things. I’d know some things maybe if the “someone” was a friend of mine and we had relationship with each other.

The reality was “someone” (whoever he or she was) had a burning question and they sought an answer from Jesus. People all around us have burning questions. We might even have some too. The question is: where do we go to get answers?

As I was driving home this Saturday afternoon past I was listening to a radio program where several Church leaders were talking about the relevance of the modern Church in the modern marketplace (another word for: our culture). One of the speakers said this: Christianity is not about imposition but about proposition and people need to understand that. I think believers need to understand that. I THINK I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT.

And when those who have burning questions are dealing with impositions they might be more reluctant to ask the burning question and form their own opinions about Christian beliefs and this Christian God who seems to be unflinchingly imposing His will upon us all.

Jesus, in You, may I live in the propositional lifestyle where I attempt to befriend and persuade rather than jumping to judging and feeling as if I need to cram my beliefs down someone else’s throat. Lord, You answered “someone’s” question; You told them the truth. May I be watching and listening and like You, do the same. Their questions represent a need and may I be used to meet some of those needs – amen.

No comments: