Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Unashamed

09.11.13

Revelation 16.15 15 (“Behold, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!”) ESV

The ancient prophet Daniel stood before the great king Nebuchadnezzar and told the king of things to come and of a Kingdom that would destroy all the other kingdoms and would endure forever. (See Daniel 2) When Daniel finished speaking to the king he said, “A great God has made known to the king what shall be after this. The dream is certain, and its interpretation sure.” (V. 2.45)

Many centuries later, John the Apostle (also a prophet of sorts) wrote the above. He was reiterating in the midst of his narrative what Paul had said many years before: “For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief...” (1 Thess. 5.2-4a)

Jesus Himself refers to the concept of the thief’s arrival – by stealth and surprise. So, it’s not like we don’t know. It will be ugly however, if we don’t care.

All of Daniel’s prophecies have been fulfilled save one. John’s revelation is coming into position and my response is: stay awake, with my clothes on. My clothing is the truth and how I respond to it. I can give it lip service and pretend – or I can really believe it, and live it eagerly . The difference will be whether or not I am clothed. And the inclination of my heart, and the conduct of my life, will bear that witness.

Jesus has never asked any of us to do some great and mighty thing; all He’s ever asked is for us to believe Him and obey Him: friends, If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. (John 15) The one who abides is the one who is fully clothed, unafraid of the great day, and unashamed of his life and conduct.

What does it mean to be unashamed? It means to live confidently and freely. Relationship with Jesus Christ bears confidence and freedom. Not rules, not legalism, just love.

The night of the thief is coming. It will happen, and as Daniel said, it is certain and sure; we can bank on it. The question then, am I ready for it? That depends on my relationship with Jesus and whether or not I believe in the importance of that…just sayin’…

Father, today, it isn’t twenty minutes reading Your word (although that is tremendously important). It isn’t church attendance, or merit badges, or Bible memory, or possessions, position, or power; or anything else we claim to have or to do. No, it’s all about our love for You expressed in our obedience to what You tell us to do. Help me to hear and to respond and to remember it will be as unexpected as a thief in the night when You decide to show up at our party. Help me today – I pray in Jesus’ Name, amen.

No comments: