Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What Matters Is…

09.10.13

Lamentations 3.21 21 But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope... (ESV)

I know, how could I not comment on this verse? Well, not this verse but the next two: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentation 3.22, 23) I guess what got me was the part about calling it to mind.

This morning a friend and I had breakfast at our local haunt and he said one of the things that helped him through the more troubled times of his life was using the Christian’s Soap: 1 John 1.9: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. He said in his life he has used this verse over and over and over again. I think it kept him sane through his days of immaturity, willfulness, and yes, sin.

Jeremiah was absolutely broken over the devastation of his nation. At one point in his grief he said things had gotten (? grammar?) so bad, he forgot what happiness was (Lam. 3.17). That’s some sad. And he said his sadness would’ve overwhelmed him had he not “[called] this to mind…” And therefore he had (or found) hope.

Israel and Judah got what they deserved despite many, many years of the Lord’s warning them to repent and come back. They ignored Him and eventually got run over (a kind of overrun but with extra hot salsa). It is not wise to turn one’s back on the Lord when He’s calling one to come back.

Despite what Israel got for their rebellion, Jeremiah knew it was for their good and God was willing to accept them back any time. And in that Jeremiah had hope. Enter: 1 John 1.9.

I, His kid, must remember I am never alone, nor am I ever outside of His watchful gaze. 1 John 1.9. It doesn’t matter how many times I fail: 1 John 1.9. It doesn’t matter if my doing is my own or the fault of someone else: 1 John 1.9. What matters is: this I call to mind. What matters is: it doesn’t matter which verse (or verses) of His word brings me back to the reality of His love and presence, so long as I continue to call one or more of them to mind and remember how much He loves me and cares about me. That’s what matters. 1 John 1.9.

Today, I know there will be hardship and confusion – it is what it is this side of Heaven. But despite this, I know, and I have hope. Yes, the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases – that’s why sometimes the weirdest things happen in my life. His mercies never come to an end – He endlessly loves you and me. They are new every morning – each day the old is gone and the new reality has come. Great is His faithfulness  - to see me through and to see me home.

Father, How could I not say something about this? How can I not go through my days and force myself to call to mind how good You are and how steadfast is Your love, and that Your mercies never come to an end? How can I not remember what is new to me each day and that Your faithfulness is great? Even in the tough times find me willing to confess my sin and eager to accept Your cleansing. Help me this day because You are You! Amen.

No comments: