Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Motto

09.22.13

Daniel 10.19 19 And he said, “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.” And as he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.” (ESV)

I have wrangled this week in my mind; I’ve questioned my place and been embarrassed by my past behavior. I’ve come to that place where I realize I’m not as smart as I think I am, and I don’t know as much as I think I do. In these days of wrangling I’ve done a bit of retreating and I’ve sought the Lord: Father, what is going on here?

I am amazed at the things I’ve learned in just one week and the things I’ve come across in reading, in music, and in Facebook of all places: words of encouragement; words of motivation, and words of peace. I know God is in control; I just need to let Him be.

And so, in Daniel 10 today, I see one of the great saints of the Lord who’d been wrangling over things that had been revealed to him and I think he questioned his place and had been embarrassed by his behavior. I think he understood he wasn’t as smart as he thought he was and didn’t know as much as he thought he did. I think he cried out to God, “Lord! What’s going on here?”

And the angel of the Lord came to him and spoke these words: “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.” Wow! Words he needed to hear. Words I need to hear! Words you need to hear!

I think if Israel had had a national motto it would’ve been: Be Strong and of Good Courage. They were the Lord’s people and they were backed up by God in every fight – that is until they decided they didn’t need God’s help. They were called to “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31.6) And Daniel who was caught up in things greater than himself – fearful and dreadful things – needed to be reminded of the national motto of Israel: be strong and of good courage.

Thoughts and feelings are usually not much more than that: thoughts and feelings. But when thoughts and feelings assault and threaten we’re to remember who we are and what we’re called to: faith in our great God and courage to daily fight the good fight. And that requires all of us to be strong and of good courage.

Father, I always go to Hebrews 13 to remember that You will never leave us nor forsake us, but today I’m reminded of Your ancient challenge to Your people through Moses Your servant in Deuteronomy 31: “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” I will learn what I need to learn and I will stand against the thoughts and feelings that would try to convince me otherwise. The motto is just as good today as it was then because You’ve never left Your people nor forsaken Your promises! Thanks! Amen.

No comments: