Saturday, September 7, 2013

No Turf to Defend

09.07.13

Revelation 12.11 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. (ESV)

I’ve read this verse so many times. I’ve always focused on the part abou the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony. These are very important things because without them, well, there isn’t much else; except maybe this last part: they loved not their lives even unto death.

I think a paraphrase of this verse might be: And they lived conquering over their enemy by the reality of the blood that was shed for them, and the validity of their words about Him; because they lived steadfastly as if they had no turf to defend; and nothing to lose because of it.

Much of who we are as humans is defend turf. The conflict in Syria (and many other places in the world) is all about defending turf. We in America love a game called Football and when you boil it down it’s all about defending turf. We have become a society which defends conflicting ideas, conflicting conversations and conflicting beliefs; solely because it is our preciously held turf.

Remarkably, the only turf Jesus ever defended wasn’t ever His own: He defended God’s turf: a thing called truth. When the Roman governor Pilate interrogated Jesus, the Lord told him that those who believed in Him were those who followed and accepted the truth, Pilate replied: what is truth? (The implication: there is no such thing as truth). Pilate’s denial of truth was his only defense in the face of it.

But the calling of God’s people is not to defend their own truth – or perception thereof. Their purpose is to defend God’s truth even to the death because they have no turf to defend and losing one’s life for God is full proof of that.

I have too long lived believing I need to defend what I believe. I am not called to that. Ever. Nowhere in the Bible am I commanded to defend my truth. My calling is to proclaim God’s truth. Period. So, proclaiming it means knowing it so that when I am tempted to get defensive, I can simply proclaim it. That’s what Jesus did, and He didn’t love His life so much as to badger people who didn’t agree with Him.

That didn’t mean the Lord’s proclamations weren’t without point or discomfort; but He didn’t get into pushing and shoving contests with others over what truth was, and why one (whoever you is) needed to accept it. He proclaimed it and left it up to the Holy Spirit to move people’s hearts. And if He lost His life in the process of that: so be it.

I have no turf worth defending. I have opinions and theories, and preferences and all that, but they are what they are mine. Conversely, when I lay these things down and only proclaim God’s truth for what it is, then I wait upon the Holy Spirit to do what He does with it – it’s His turf, not mine.

Lord, may I learn to do as You did: simply proclaim God’s truth, allowing Your Spirit to help people see it, and receive it… Amen.

No comments: