Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Cords of God

08.29.13

Ezekiel 4.8 8 And behold, I will place cords upon you, so that you cannot turn from one side to the other, till you have completed the days of your siege. (ESV)

Just over a year: 390 days. 25 days over as a matter of fact. I groan every time I read Ezekiel 4 because every time I do I’m reminded of Ezekiel’s having to lie on his side (his left side) for 390 days. And when that was over, he had to roll over onto his right side and do it again for forty more days. Yuck. Sometimes God makes us do the weirdest things…if we’ll let Him; if we’ll obey. (Ezekiel only protested when God told him to use human excrement as fuel for the fire to cook his food.)

And then God said, “And behold, I will place cords upon you, so that you cannot turn from one side to the other, till you have completed the days of your siege.” In other words: Ezekiel, don’t even think about getting comfortable, I’m going to paralyze you to get my point across. God does what God does and Ezekiel obeyed.

Recently, my bride and I went tent camping. It only took two nights on the ground with little padding under our fat and spoiled bodies to remind us why we don’t go camping… both nights my hips and knees were killing me! Campfire coffee never tasted so good in the morning!

So I thought: do we have cords in life that keep us from getting more comfortable? Do we find ourselves in the weirdest places doing the weirdest (and often harmful or inane) things? Has God bound us up in a location, a vocation, or some other “ation” to get His point across? Where is God when day 321 (of 390) comes around? Where am I in my heart and mind? (That’s probably the more important question…)

What seems to be hard for most of us to accept is how God deals with us to get His point across. The point may be for us: I tend to think that what Ezekiel went through was somewhat based upon what was in his heart about his nation and their apostasy from God. And the point may be for others: as they watch helplessly as the cords of God paralyze or cripple or prevent us from living our/their view of the American Dream; maybe the Church Dream: How can God do that to him; he must’ve done something really wrong!

God does what God does and we’re to cooperate with Him as He does what He does. This may call for patience. This may call for a renewed contentment. This may call for humility and this may call for submission. God does what God does to get His point across.

This made me think about my current age and stage in life. This made me think about my ministry and my vocation. This made me think about the things God is asking me to deal with (and no, He hasn’t asked me to lay around for 390 days!) This made me ask, God, are we getting somewhere in all this – and if we are is there something else I must do (besides whine, moan, and groan about where I am and what I do?) What would I willingly do for God to get the point across to my family, my community?

Father birth in Your servant a new level of contentment and trust and may I get the point, or may others get the point as they witness Your interaction with me – Amen.  

No comments: