Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Special Occasion

08.04.13

2 Chronicles 34.19 19 And when the king heard the words of the Law, he tore his clothes. (ESV)

I’ve often wondered about this clothes-tearing thing – was it a learned behavior or did they just happen to do it when something big happened? It seems more like an ism than an act. Clothes-tearing seemed to be reserved for special occasions. Clothes-tearing seemed to mean: THIS IS A BIG DEAL!! I wonder if when they heard the news they threw a clothes tearing ceremony, or if it was more spontaneous than that?

Josiah was the last great king in Jerusalem; the whole thing fell apart after he died; the nation of Israel collapsed. As David had set the tone for kings during his reign, Josiah was the last one to rule in that manner.

Josiah had a heart to restore the Temple and set about to do so; his officers and the high priest got about the business of sweeping out the Temple, making repairs and attempting to restore some of its original glory. One day they found a copy of the Book of the Law, and brought it to the King. This was like giving food to a starving man, water to one dying of thirst, or a gentle touch to the lonely and bitter – King Josiah, was blown away and as a result, tore his clothes.

The significance of such an action is huge because in those days clothing (and modesty) were very important in such societies. (A rich man would have more than one pair of socks…). For the king to tear his clothes meant something momentous had happened; everyone in the city would know about it. Man! Something big has happened to get him to do that! It was a big deal. Clothes-tearing was reserved for very special occasions.

I think it meant something like: I cannot hide myself in the face of such news (or events). I think it was a response of utter self-rejection to something bigger and beyond. (Not necessarily, but usually bad.)

We don’t tear our clothes these days. We shout, we clap our hands, we cry out, we weep, we moan. But we don’t tear our clothes. We don’t do something so big that everyone knows about it. We don’t make a big deal about big deals. (Okay, not everybody, but I include myself in that group.)

Nowadays, we have to go to great lengths to make a big deal about big deals. We organize a walk. We write books. We get on the radio. We go to Washington, D.C. It’s not exactly clothes-tearing but it gets the job done. (Thank you Bo and Nita)

But what happens when we are utterly broken by God? What do we do then? When is the last time that happened? To you? To me? To what lengths are we willing to go to show God has clobbered us with such news that it overwhelms us in sorrow and remorse? And we repent?

Father God,
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity*… Amen

*Hosanna – Hillsong United

No comments: