Saturday, August 31, 2013

He Blinked

08.31.13

Revelation 5.4 4 and I began to weep loudly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it. (ESV)

Sometimes, even in Heaven, according to our brother John, there is a strong sense of hopelessness that prevails. It’s not because there is hopelessness, but because there is the perception of hopelessness. You see, someone asked the question in the throne-room of Heaven: “Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?” and no one was found who could 1) answer the question, and 2) open the scroll or break the seals.

At this point, John is overwhelmed with hopelessness – even in the throne room of God – that all is not as he expected it to be: no one could open that dang scroll! But like the rest of us who struggle with the mysteries of God and the mysteries of life, John overlooked the fact that just because no one (creaturely speaking) could open the scroll or break its seals, God could, and would. And did.

John’s tears are a picture of us and our weak perspective. We are the ones who repeatedly look to God for miracles (or just to come through on our behalf) and when they don’t happen the way we want, or believe they should, we deem God to be less than what He presents Himself to be. One day the in-your-face-ness of earth will be revealed for the lie that it is in the presence of Heaven, and the majesty of God.

I’m not trying to put John down – he got the invite to heaven, not me – but he admits that even in the throne-room of God he momentarily lost sight of the glory and majesty of the Glory and Majesty – he blinked. But I’m not in Heaven and I blink all the time because the in-your-face-ness of earth fools me again and again. All I get to do is read of John’s momentary lapse and remember that despite my best efforts, I get fooled, and in reality, there may really be tears in Heaven.

That doesn’t mean I’m not saved. That doesn’t mean I’m weak. It just means that the calling of faith is far greater than I usually go. That means the need for my taking my relationship with God to a new level is constantly before me and I need to give that some serious effort.

Listen, if John was fooled (even momentarily) and he wasn’t exposed to the level of information I/we are exposed to, then who am I/we to sit back and criticize him for reaching a conclusion – even in Heaven – that things aren’t always what they appear to be.; at least he was honest enough to admit to all of us that he blinked.

I blink. I duck. I jump to conclusions over things that are not important and yet distract me from the real reason I live. I read John’s revelation and think: man, I do that stuff all the time! But like John, even when it appears to be the worst, I have someplace to turn and Someone to help me: “…the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Jesus Christ the Risen Lord, who knows when I blink and jump to stupid conclusions about my life and the in-your-face-ness  of the world around me.

Help me Jesus, help me today! Amen.

No comments: