Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Faithful Unto Death

08.28.13

Revelation 2.10 10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. (ESV)

Statements like these bug me: Do not fear what you are about to suffer… Really! Do not fear!? Suffer!? I get fearful just hearing those words. There is a tone of surety to those words that doesn’t flinch: Oh, and by the way, you’re about to get it

But then, I have to think about such words and come back to the place where I understand Who said them: Jesus did. And when Jesus says, do not fear, then there is nothing to fear as long as He said those words. And when Jesus says, be faithful unto death, then what He is really encouraging us to do is this: be faithful like you always are beloved; this time though, it’s gonna be tougher than normal, but you can do it ‘cause I’m right there with you.

I believe that what the Lord had John write to the seven churches got written, and delivered. I believe those people in those churches heard and understood what was written and Who  it was who said it. I believe they accepted the words for what they were. I think they did their best with what they knew and what they knew was true: Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

I notice that Jesus didn’t give them too much detail but did give them a lot of encouragement. That’s our Lord: short on details, long on relationship. The details of earth aren’t usually as important as we make them out to be. I think that’s why God, over and over, simply says: trust Me, I’m with you and because I am, you don’t need to worry, just be faithful – even to the death if necessary. Death is overrated.

And whether or not the details ring of big trouble or small, I’m to remain faithful. On an everyday basis here in the modern world, I’m to be faithful. When my thoughts go south or my attitude loses altitude, I’m to remain faithful – and even to the end of my days whether in jail or just at ACE (where I happen to presently work) my life’s mission is to be faithful to Him who is always faithful to me. Good news or bad, He’s faithful.

Lord, I know there are those who are going through some tough times because they’ve chosen to be faithful and cling to You. I ask that You give them strength and help them when fear tries to creep in – help them to be faithful. And for all of us who are Your kids, may we be faithful in the face of an imminent death or an ultimate death because Your word says: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. (Psalm 116.15 ESV) Amen.

No comments: