Thursday, August 8, 2013

Remarkably Stuck

08.08.13

John 10.28-29 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. (ESV)

Jesus was good at remarkable statements. He was/is the Son of God so it is no surprise that He would say things that would make one stop in his tracks and listen.

I give them eternal life, and they will never perish… The gift of Jesus Christ is life. Primarily. The cost and the pain of sin is death – eternal. The unrepentant will not see life beyond this one because the great separator of life and death is sin. However, the great Separator, the Lord Jesus Christ, gives eternal life to those who believe and they are safely held by Him and no one will snatch them out of [His] hand. No one. Not even ourselves. (Though sometimes we try.)

So Jesus’ gift is life. The Father’s Gift is us to Christ. We, who believe, are given to Jesus by the Father. For God foreknew who would believe. And no one, not even ourselves, can snatch us out of the Father’s hand. We are safely – eternally – held there.

Remarkable. Not because there is weakness or arrogance (which is a form of weakness) in the Godhead, but that we don’t always live as if we believe such remarkable statements. The remarkableness of Jesus’ words are simply (and powerfully) that there is no room for wiggle. There is no room for equivocation: 1. In Christ, we have eternal life, we shall never perish, and no one can take that away. 2. We are God’s gift to Christ, God is greater than all, and no one can take that away. Period. Done deal.

Today my purpose is to live in the light of these remarkable words. It’s easy for me to read John 10 where they are found, and to look down my nose at the unbelieving Jews and somehow think of them poorly because they chose to argue rather than believe. But in my arrogance I then go and live my days thinking about non-important things that try to rob the remarkability of Jesus’ words from me. In this case it is truly an either/or: either what Jesus said is completely true, or it’s not: I must choose to live in one light or the other.

What I also must do is quit living as if I had the strength or wherewithal to snatch myself out of God’s hand; no one includes me.

I think what this boils down to today is belief and thinking clearly; and a sharp, sharp reminder of the Bible says to me about me: I am one of God’s sheep, given eternal life by the Only One who can give that, and no one can take that from me. The Bible says I am safe in the Father’s hand and no one, not even me, can take me away or take that truth away.

And this all is a firm reminder of why I read God’s word and communicate with Him: I tend to fool myself at times that there are other options of truth out there…there aren’t. I try to fool myself that I am vulnerable…I am not. But sticking with God is not an on-again/off-again thing – it’s a done deal and I need routinely and regularly to remind myself I’m irremovably stuck...

No comments: