Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Remember Mercy

08.06.13

Habakkuk 3.2 2 O Lord, I have heard the report of you, and your work, O Lord, do I fear. In the midst of the years revive it; in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.

I love the little prophecy of Habakkuk; not because it has a happy ending but because of statements like the two above. Personally I want to rise to the level of Habakkuk’s faith and echo: O Lord, I have heard the report of you, and your work, O Lord, do I fear. And secondly, I want to plead for my own land, the people of my land, and the rich heritage of my land – In God We Trust – because like Habakkuk’s land we are heading for a change and it’s gonna hurt. So I pray, Lord, in the midst of the years revive Your works; in the midst of the years make them known; in wrath remember mercy.

In John 8 Jesus has an argument with the unbelieving Jews who demand to know: “Who are You!?” (John 8.25) We cannot be saved from ourselves if we cannot know who He is. The offer is on the table but time is running short. Jesus’ answer to them was simply: “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning…” He went on to say, I am who I Am (His reference to deity which they would have fully understood if they hadn’t be so prejudiced against Him.)

My job, my life, my energy is to be invested into understanding who He is to me, for me, and through me, that I would faithfully pray in our day and time: Lord, in wrath remember mercy.

We, today, are not much different from them back then: we just don’t believe. Many are crying out: Jesus, if You are who You say You are then why are things so bad? Many simply cannot believe that even God can do anything about the mess we’re in. Many don’t believe we’re in a mess. So let the end come… 

As an aggressive nation was embarking to overrun Israel, Habakkuk said this: Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. (3.17-18) He prayed that because He knew in the midst of wrath, God will be merciful to the faithful.

Come what may God remembers the faithful and the faithful must pray: O God, in Your wrath, remember mercy. Amen.

No comments: